Allegedly shoplifted from (Dept. store)...need advice quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imnotperfect

I allegedly shoplifted at (Dept. store) in a different state (NJ) than the one I reside in. While I was leaving out of the store a man entered but as soon as he saw me walk out, he turned around and followed me to about 5 feet from the door. I was asked to walk with him as he was the store security and was pulled into a room directly next to the exit. There wasn't anyone else there and no one else came while the weirdo was doing what I would call "harassing" me. He gave me a piece of paper and made me place all of my information on it; i had my purse but accidentally left my wallet in the car. After telling my fiance to keep going to the car (in the parking lot) he made me call him back in to the office to show his ID and confirm my address instead of just having him bring my license in. We were only going to the car to get my wallet.

We allegedly stole a pair of kid shoes. My fiance handed them to me while I was in the dressing room and went to the men's section while waiting. My fiance made it very clear that he does LP too and that in no way was either one of us stealing. The LP told him it looked like he was helping when he handed me the box. Anyway, no shoes were found and they never searched my fiance (only me). After 15 mins of waiting, the LP called someone and told them he has a possible theft and within 5mins two store clerks came to the room and stood there until he talked his smack and told us we were free to go. He stated that if he found out that we were lying about anything that he would prosecute us. He didn't apologize and didn't find a thing. Just kept threatening to lock us up if he as little as thought we were lying. We left and I couldn't wait to tell everyone this story. Everyone said I should sue but I put it in God hands. I honestly felt like we were profiled. I had on a suit...i was in NJ for a week starting my new employee orientation. I didnt want to as little as mistakenly get locked up for something so foolish. How would i explain that to my employer??? Something isn't right about this...he was outside of the store when I came out of the dressing room and no other LP was there. Things that make you go hmmm.

Now I have a letter in the mail saying I must pay $175 or face legal actions. WTH!!!!. The LP took my fiance's ID info, asked where the shoes were and shortly afterward let us go. Everyone told me I should've taken legal action but I simply said a prayer, went home and told everyone about my horrible experience the next day.

I don't want to disregard the letter from their attorney and something bad happens, but I can also fight it and lose...unless I pay for a lawyer that I really can't afford at the present time. An attorney will most likely cost more than their fee, but I would HATE to pay for a crappy experience as such. Check this out...I have (Dept. store's) credit card. Smh... What should I do???

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay their demand, or they'll hound you forever.

Then just shut up about this.

Blabbing like a goose with diarrhea will only make it look worse.

And, for goodness sakes, stop stealing; you've got a great job, why steal?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the LP guy might have appeared creepy, but face it, you guys were behaving oddly, too.

Pay up, let it go, say a prayer, ask for forgiveness (God already knows), then never do anything like this again.

Agree, pay the civil demand fine of $175.00 & hope that they pursue no further.

Apparently you did not read what you signed.

You were not "forced" to do anything. You could have walked away at any time, and should have.

If you did not steal anything then you should consider fighting the Civil demand request. If you did steal or feel you have nothing to fight with then paying this and ending the issue might be best option.

So you could have de-escalated the situation by explaining where the shoes disappeared to, but elected to continue the games for sport perhaps. Maybe the dodge was giving you an empty box and him stealing the shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back