Alleged theft at a store

Status
Not open for further replies.

PettyKing

Hello,
I was just accused of stealing at a retail store.

I was already out of the store and out of fear, after being beckoned by the loss prevention officer, i returned to the store and confessed.

The merchandise was only worth 16$. This is my first offense and I'd like to know what I can do for myself at my court date in about 40 days.

Thank you

Hello,
I was just accused of stealing at a retail store.

I was already out of the store and out of fear, after being beckoned by the loss prevention officer, i returned to the store and confessed.

The merchandise was only worth 16$. This is my first offense and I'd like to know what I can do for myself at my court date in about 40 days.

Thank you

You shot yourself in your foot, by allegedly stealing, and then confessing.

All you can do now, is stay our of trouble, appear in court as directed, professionally attired, do as the bailiff directs in court, plead not guilty when asked how you plead,
hire a lawyer in the interim IF YOU CAN AFFORD one, otherwise ask the court to appoint a public defender, say nothing more about the case, and then work with yoru lawyer to minimize the damage.

This isn't a speeding ticket, it can severely impact the rest of your life, so don't ever think about doing this again, and if you're lucky, you can walk away a free person with a smalls tain on your record, and stay away from that store for at least three to five years.

I really don't understand why they go back. Must be that guilty conscience.

You know, Moose, I've wondered about that, too.
I don't condone breaking any laws.
I'd never steal trinkets.
But, if I did, and someone wearing street clothing said come here sonny, I'm off like a greyhound.

It is both policy and the norm for a Loss Prevention professional to ID themselves when they make contact. so ye sits reasonable they stop and go with officer

FYI, OP, once you confessed it stopped being an alleged theft and became a theft.

As Law enforcement I would think you would know better but I guess not. Many stores still allow Loss Prevention to purse a fleeing subject and as you well know MM the end does not always work out well for all parties. Not to mention there could now be additional charges which could raise level of crime to felony read this http://www.parentnook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=4623&p=13724&hilit=sad+story#p13724 a simple shoplifting that was elevated to robbery. There is also the chance that the store was merely going to retrieve their merchandise and let person go with Civil Demand or even less. That now has gone out the window. No fleeing is s stupid suggestion

Just to be clear, no one is suggesting that anyone ever break any law.
We don't understand why most boosters (aka- shoplifters) would steal trinkets, as most who appear here say they ripped off $5, $10, or $25 or such.
We also know (the lifters and boosters may not know), that most of these chains prohibit their security from chasing the thieves.
They don't appear to care about the law, otherwise why would they boost earrings, shiny things, and cheap trinkets.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, some boost diamond rings, and even automobiles, but we're discussing the ones boosting trinkets.
Suddenly, as Moose reasons, perhaps a twinge of conscience strikes the budding thief, and their angel convinces them to ignore the devil whispering in the other ear, RUN, JUST RUN!

simpsons-angel-devil.jpg

Last edited:
As a point of fact, most shoplifters do not run. There are psychological reasons for this.

Running shows a consciousness of guilt. If caught, you can virtually guarantee prosecution as well as additional charges in many cases. Most people tend to feel they can minimize their exposure by trying to reason with LP or the police, and come across as being errant, stupid, or a first timer. If you run, then it is hard to justify even to one's self that what you did isn't bad because the act of flight merely proves it.

If someone runs, I'm going to arrest them and book them for every offense I can think of including jaywalking. If they stay, then they might go home with a ticket.

As a point of fact, most shoplifters do not run. There are psychological reasons for this.

Running shows a consciousness of guilt. If caught, you can virtually guarantee prosecution as well as additional charges in many cases. Most people tend to feel they can minimize their exposure by trying to reason with LP or the police, and come across as being errant, stupid, or a first timer. If you run, then it is hard to justify even to one's self that what you did isn't bad because the act of flight merely proves it.

If someone runs, I'm going to arrest them and book them for every offense I can think of including jaywalking. If they stay, then they might go home with a ticket.

Yes, I don't think many people flee from the police, and do so successfully.

What Moose opined about is people NOT fleeing from security guards.

It still confuses me that people could steal trinkets, and suddenly when confronted by people in street clothing (or store security guards), meekly return to the store to discuss, confess, and spill the beans about their little escapade.

I don't propose or suggest that I understand human nature.

But, I understand myself.

First of all, I've never stolen one thing in my miserable life.

I just never had the desire to steal, smoke dope, kill, rape, or break the law.

In fact, I drive on the Interstate with my cruise control locked between 55 and 60 MPH.

I could exceed the speed limit, because I carry my retired district judge card.

My cars and trucks also bear Texas District Judge plates.

I admit to being out of touch, and I'm rather old.

I'll never understand why someone would steal a $3.00 bauble (or even a $3,000,000 bigger bauble), and meekly comply with a request to discuss "something"?

But, old people are allowed to be stupid and clueless.

I suppose the "lifters" are amateur, budding criminals.

I have seen meth freaks, crack heads, and heroin addicts flee after such a misadventure.

I suppose the thieves we're discussing are amateurs, and they have no dope money on their back.

Last edited:
They also don't tend to flee LP, clerks, or security ... and even that flight can be evidence of guilt, is no guarantee of escape, and can result in additional criminal charges - part of the reason why most do NOT flee even from the non-po-po.

Point of fact is that few criminals, if caught, attempt to fight or flee. Most acquiesce. SOME fight. Those that do tend to have a reason to do so. It has been a while since I have had a real fight or even a chase in order to arrest someone. They just don't tend to run or fight.

I concur those who flee or fight tend to have more to lose than simple theft. As stated feeling or fighting can and most often does bring additional charges. My issues with AJ and MM is their posts basically suggest these lifters flee and even somewhat suggest they will get off scott free. (Note I said somewhat and suggest). In all my years in Retail theft the only person who ever fought or fled had other issues or concerns like drugs on them, priors, on parole or the like

They also don't tend to flee LP, clerks, or security ... and even that flight can be evidence of guilt, is no guarantee of escape, and can result in additional criminal charges - part of the reason why most do NOT flee even from the non-po-po.

Point of fact is that few criminals, if caught, attempt to fight or flee. Most acquiesce. SOME fight. Those that do tend to have a reason to do so. It has been a while since I have had a real fight or even a chase in order to arrest someone. They just don't tend to run or fight.

I would tend to agree, most don't resist, flee, or attempt to elude.

Those that do have warrants, parole or probation has been revoked, or they are attempting to be detected because they are wanted for more serious crimes.

The latter, however, are more often than not model citizens.

I remember one defendant that absconded from probation for 25 years.
The sentencing judge in his case had been dead for 12 years.
I was newly installed on that bench, in that court.
He lived a model life for 25 years on the run in another state under an assumed identity.
He was popped for a traffic violation, and ROR'ed.
His prints came back three weeks later, and the detectives picked him up two weeks after that, still at the address he gave the jail.
He returned to Texas voluntarily, after Illinois wouldn't extradite him.
I found him guilty at the revocation hearing, after he pled guilty.
I sentenced him to the 80 days served in jail on the revocation charge as "time served" and cut him loose.
No matter how long I'm around this stuff, I'll never understand it.
That's because I can't understand human beings, they appear shallow, but are extremely complex; myself included.

You sat on bench to uphold the law yet you suggest thieves run.

There was no suggestion of any kind, simply a recognition that a crook has no obligation to stop when someone says pretty please.
They don't need to run or fight but simply keep walking. LP can follow as long as they like.
I would expect them to sooner drop the goods and run than to agree to go back in and talk about it.
It is just surprising how many decide to steal then give themselves up so easily. I would expect them to be more committed to getting away.
But no, that doesn't at all mean that I suggest they run. It is in their own best interest to try to minimize the damage done.
However, as a general rule, the response to anyone other than law enforcement who orders a person stop for any reason should be, "Get lost." Or maybe no response at all if you have an aversion to rude or smartass retorts.

The LP is performing a "citizens arrest" and the subject has the same choice to fight, flee or. comply to the LP or Law enforcement. Fact person is wearing street clothes makes no difference.

The LP is performing a "citizens arrest" and the subject has the same choice to fight, flee or. comply to the LP or Law enforcement. Fact person is wearing street clothes makes no difference.

If they were performing a citizens arrest they would turn them over to law enforcement every time. Since they don't do that it clearly isn't the case, otherwise they are making unlawful arrests.
You are right, somewhat, that street clothes don't matter. What matters is that the person making the arrest is clearly identified as law enforcement. If not, no charge for resisting arrest would ever stick. In fact, it is not illegal to resist an unlawful arrest, even if attempted by uniformed police, although that would be a very risky decision to make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back