1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Alleged leak of info.

Discussion in 'Employment, Labor, Work Issues' started by Highlander, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highlander

    Highlander Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Here is an email I sent to the Attorney General's address and the reply I recieved from that email. I was advised by the AG that I would need to seek the advice of a private attorney. I don't want this to sound like a plead for help, but I don't have any other options.

    "Dear Mike Hatch,

    My name is ________, and I am writing to you for your inquiry towards a reprimand I received with a sheriff's department I was employeed at.

    The reprimand was that of "Police Misconduct". I received a call at home that the sheriff, chief deputy, and the investigator wanted to have a meeting with me. At the meeting I was given a sheet of paper to sign, I questioned the sheriff to why I was there, to which he replied, "sign the paper first and we will discuss it". So, I signed the paper and the investigator stated that upon the conclusion of the meeting, it was possible that I would be facing criminal charges for allegedly leaking information to a person/persons in regards to a execution of a search warrant. They asked me if I told anyone of the search warrant, to which I said no I have not!! I ask if I should have someone to represent me, to which they stated that we can solve this by ourselves, and that there is no need to worry, it's like "a nat on an elephants back." They continued to ask that same question, but refraised it every time. I continued to answer the question the same every time. After about 1.5hrs of this, the investigator played a tape recording of an interviewed subject, stating that he had heard from his friend, who heard from his friend, who heard from his friend that I informed him that this particular place was being watched. Just a side note, the meeting lasted approximately 3 hrs, unpaid! And no investigation was conducted to uncover the truth.

    There is more to this story, but this information became gossip around the law enforcement community. It has been a little over a year now since I've worked for a department and have been interviewing for police jobs all over the state and to no avail. The police chief of a department I was working for, in the same county I was reprimanded, called me a week or two later and said that he did not want me to work for him because it would cause "bad blood" between the sheriff and him. So I was informed I no longer worked for that department.

    All of this has taken a toll on me and my family. I feel I have suffered great humiliation and embarrassment. To which has harm my reputation and has affected my ability to obtain a job in the law enforcment field. Is there any way I can get closure to this, or do I need to go back to college to study in a different field?

    Thank you for your time and consideration!


    This is the reply by the AG:


    On behalf of Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch, I thank you for your e-mail received on February 6, 2004.

    You state that you left your job with a Minnesota sheriff's department as the result of a reprimand which you received. You were accused of divulging confidential information about a search warrant which was about to be executed. You have applied for other law enforcement jobs in your area, but feel that this action against you has hampered your ability to find work in your field.

    Under Minnesota law the Attorney General’s Office has limited authority. For instance, it has jurisdiction to represent State agencies. It does not, however, have jurisdiction to represent private citizens. Notwithstanding this limitation, I can offer the following comments, which I hope are helpful.

    First, as I stated above, this Office cannot provide legal advice or represent you. To take action against another party for damages of this kind would require private legal action, and the advice and representation of an attorney.

    Second, the Minnesota Bar Association has a Legal Referral Service which will recommend one or more attorneys who have expertise in this area. They will provide a free consultation to evaluate your case. For services beyond that consultation, their regular fee schedule would apply. You can reach them through their website at: http://www.mnfindalawyer.com/

    Thank you again for contacting the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office.


    Jack Jarpe, Consumer Services Division

    Minnesota Attorney General’s Office

    445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1400

    St. Paul, MN 55101

    It is my understanding that under statute 626.89 "Peace Officer Discipline Procedures Act", I was treated unjustly and unfarely.
    Please advise me if something of this nature can be addressed. Excuse me for not leaving any personl info, such as contact info at this time. I wil supply that if and when such legal repesentions asks.
  2. Michael Wechsler

    Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Have you spoken to the Bar yet with regard to what they can advise? Perhaps you spoke to the wrong government agency and they may direct you elsewhere. I'm sorry to hear about your case. It is possible that you may have a civil cause of action as well and you may wish to discuss it with an attorney.


Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.