Alleged damage to vacation rental unit and possible scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKVacationer

On April 7th, I arranged to rent a condo in a resort town and paid in full online via debit/credit card (a debit with the Visa logo).

On 06/19/2010 we checked in to our unit. We were there until the morning of 06/23/2010, at which time we checked out and came home.

Five days later I received an e-mail from the rental management company that was titled "damage to unit." Inside the e-mail was a statement that the company had tried to bill our credit card for damage to the unit in the form of a shattered shower door in the bathroom, the charges had been denied, how did we want to pay the $225.30 owed. It was literally a 2-sentence e-mail.

I immediately responded and enclosed photos of the unit that we had taken upon our departure. I told the person that there was no damage to the unit when we left, we don't know how the damage occurred, but we didn't do it, and please do not contact us any further.

I then contacted my attorney to ask his advice. He advised me to cancel the card they attempted to charge, which I did, and to cancel any other cards that would be associated with the rental, which we did. He e-mailed a colleague from the state in which this occurred (Colorado) to ask for advice regarding that state's laws; however, with it being a holiday weekend, he's not heard anything back regarding what we should do.

Now, the rental company has filed a complaint with the police in their town. A police officer has called twice; however, my attorney has advised me to not answer the call or return it until he hears from his colleague. Ironically, it has now gotten to an almost harassing nature with the phone calls from the police department. Our attorney says he is puzzled why the police are involved because this should be a civil matter, not a criminal one.

The facts are:
1. When we left the rental unit, it was in perfect condition. We even went so far as to clean the kitchen and vacuum before we left. There was no damage to anything. The dishes were washed. The used towels were folded and placed on the floor by the bathroom door. The garbage had been taken out, and all the rest of the checkout list for the unit followed.
2. We did not hear anything from the rental company after that. We were not notified of any damage by phone, regular mail, or e-mail.
3. Only when our credit card denied the charges were we notified. Had there not been an insufficient balance, I doubt we would have even known about the charge until the dollar amount showed up on our statement. Then we would have had to try to fight it.
4. The photo enclosed as "proof" is a blurry photograph with an ambiguous name to it. Since there was no indication from the e-mail as to when the damage had occurred or when the photo was taken, I hoped to find out more information by viewing the photo's file properties. I was stunned to see that the photo is dated 10/01/2003.
5. I had taken photos of our unit prior to leaving. We had a spectacular time. The year previous, we had rented a unit that was awful, so we were very pleasantly surprised with this one. By a fluke (God's grace?), I also photographed the shower because of the unusual setup. We also photographed the kitchen, living room, dining room, and bedrooms because each room had a fabulous view.

From our point of view, this is a nice little scam they have going: Wait until renters are gone and probably out of state, then attempt to charge their credit card for 'damages' without notifying the renters first. If and when the card is declined, they send ambiguous photos as proof, assuming that the person would not know how to check a digital date stamp (EXIF data), and demand payment. Without any type of proof of their own, no way to verify whether there is even damage or not, and being states away, renters would be bullied into paying for this "damage." How many times have they recycled those blurred, ambiguous, and outdated photos?

On my end, I have contacted my bank and credit card companies and put fraud alerts on my accounts for unauthorized charges. At first, I was willing to "let sleeping dogs lie" as long as they let the situation go. However, since they have stepped things up a notch, and on the advice of my attorney, I have since filed complaints with that state's Attorney General's Consumer Fraud division, who may forward it to the Better Business Bureau, so I did not file with them to avoid duplicate complaints. I filed a complaint with the US Postal Service Inspector General for email fraud. I have also filed a complaint with the FBI's IC3 site related to internet and credit card fraud, since this all took place via email and website. In each case, I provided copies of our original rental agreement, e-mails, and tried (hopefully) to upload photos, both theirs and ours. I do have case numbers for those complaints.

What are our rights here? Have I done everything I can since I am out of state? And most importantly: We did NOT damage the unit whatsoever and yet it seems to be our word against theirs. Where do we go from here? Is my name now sullied because of the police complaint?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

Last edited:

You're worrying about nothing.
You've done everything correctly. so far.
This is, as you've identified it, a SCAM.

Even if they are successful with the $200 criminal charge which is probably a (SCAM), they're not going to extradite you for a $200 vandalism charge.
The "cop' is probably a friend of the SCAMMER.

Even if the "cop" is a real cop, what's he going to do, come to another state after you?
Not gonna happen for a no-time crime like this!

Let your lawyer do his thing.
I'm telling you, there is nothing for you to fret about.
They can only harass you.

I'd change my telephone number.
I'd also never go back there again.
Stop renting crap "condos".

Next time, use a hotel.

Also, never use a debit card for hotel rentals.
Pay in cash or use a credit card.
I always pay in cash upfront.
I even leave a cash deposit, which I always get back upon check-out.

Thank you, Army Judge. I truly appreciate your input on this. I want to make sure my bases are covered.

While writing my original post, the "police department" called again... both my home phone and cell phone. That's getting old.

We used to live in that state and hope to return some day. My son was born there, and we have a lot of friends who still live there. We enjoy our vacations and visits, keeping in touch with these friends.

I'm just disappointed and heartsick over this. I want to be sure that when we move back there is not going to be some type of outstanding legal issue hanging over my head.

OKVacationer said:
Thank you, Army Judge. I truly appreciate your input on this. I want to make sure my bases are covered.

While writing my original post, the "police department" called again... both my home phone and cell phone. That's getting old.

We used to live in that state and hope to return some day. My son was born there, and we have a lot of friends who still live there. We enjoy our vacations and visits, keeping in touch with these friends.

I'm just disappointed and heartsick over this. I want to be sure that when we move back there is not going to be some type of outstanding legal issue hanging over my head.

If you want to go back, pay the con-artist the lousy $200.

When you send IT your money order, tell IT you'll never utilize IT'S facilities again.

Tell IT that you disagree with the $200 SCAM but that if IT needs the money that bad, enjoy the $200, because it's the last $200 IT will ever see from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to go back, pay the con-artist the lousy $200.

When you send IT your money order, tell IT you'll never utilize IT'S facilities again.

Tell IT that you disagree with the $200 SCAM but that if IT needs the money that bad, enjoy the $200, because it's the last $200 IT will ever see from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on your life. I don't do extortion (pay me or I'll give you a criminal record). :D

There are other rental places out there. Hundreds of them. I just don't want a criminal record, thought I did find their county court records, entered my name, and don't see anything.

It probably is not a real "police officer." Simplest thing to do to find out is to call the local police department there and tell them someone has been calling you from such and such number and ask them if that is a number associated with one of their officers.

I thought I would quickly post an update.

I filed complaints with every organization and governing body I could find. I filed with the Colorado Attorney General, the USPS Inspector's Service for identity and credit card theft (who knew they handled it? ...but they do), and the FBI's IC3 unit. I have received acknowledgments and case numbers from all of these entities, and the CO AG passed the complaint on to the Better Business Bureau, who also issued me a complaint and file number.

I filed a complaint, on the advice of my attorney, with the local sheriff's department regarding the fraud, and they also issued me a case number and took copies of my information, the photos, e-mails, etc.

Finally, I posted a review with the referring website (VRBO) and TripAdvisor, briefly stating to just be cautions when renting from this entity and beware of a damage scam.

Today, I received a phone call and voice mail from the owner of the property management service stating that he didn't want to leave a big long voice mail, but "due to recent developments, I've been led to believe that you all did not break the shower door," and would I please return his phone call.

Funny, he can call now that fraud complaints have been filed???

So I am now, again, awaiting the advice of my attorney as to how to proceed because I think this guys is now backpedaling.

Again, I appreciate the help and advice here!

I would personally be inclined to persue this to the fullest. It might help keep them from pulling this on someone else. And if they did have someone call caliming to be an officer, that is a criminal offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back