Alimony waiver signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortysue59

My ex husband and I used Moderators during our divorce three years ago. I did not want the divorce and was distraught and under a lot of stress at the time. He convinced me to sell the house that we occupied which I now regret. Because I was so distraught I was not thinking straight and in my mind I thought if I just do what he wanted he'd forget about the divorce and come back. I know, how pathetic. Anyway, during our meetings with the moderators she asked if I wanted to ask for alimony. Well at the time of the divorce he was selling mobile homes and had not brought any money in for months and I was probably earning more than him at the time...I felt sorry for him and he promised that if I signed the waiver that said I can not come back and ask for alimony later (when he had the money to do so) that not to worry if I needed help he would be there for me. Well, several times during the last 3 years I have asked him for help and he has refused to help me with even a couple hundred dollars a month to help me with my rent and bills.

I don't think I've been unreasonable in asking for him to help me. After 18 years of being together, I only started working the last 3, so he is more capable of earning far more than I ever could. He has his own business now for the past 3 years and claims he has no money to give, but I know that is a lie.

He owns his own business and his own home. I rent my apt and own nothing. I have nothing to show for those 18 years. I think it's a shame that there isn't someone out there to help people who are going through a divorce who is clearly not in their right mind therefore not making careful decisions to secure their future. I now know that i made so many mistakes in my decision making. My question is....do I have any recourse?? Is there anything I can do to get that waiver reversed???

Susan

If you were earning more at the time, you could have wound up paying him alimony.

If you want to see an attorney open re-opening this yu can but chances are very slim you will get anything. You agreed to this and its been 3 years, too long to appeal.

I am sorry you are having a difficulty time but you should either find better employment, or go back to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back