Alimony and Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbieJo

I need some major advice and I dont know what else to do. My husband was married to another woman in 1994. They were together for only 4 years. Their divorce was final in 1999. They decided to settle out of court. He thought it would be alot easier that way and less nasty. So she filed the decree of divorce which stated she got everything and $250.00 every two weeks alimony. I remind you there were no children born of this marriage. This was fine, he just wanted a divorce. Trying to make a long story short, we have paid her until last year, when we decided to pay her off and we gave her $8,000. We figured that would just end it all and we would be done with her. She was living with a man at the same time, while collecting the alimony and after we paid her off 2 days later she married the other guy. Yeah, shes nice isnt she. lol. Anyway, Come to find out she hasnt claimed any of the money we paid her in alimony and the IRS contacted us last year. We sent them everything they asked for ex.. Final divorce decree, all the checks that I deposited into her account to which on the memo part of the check said alimony payment. The agent I spoke to said that he couldnt be sure that I wasnt just paying a car payment or something. They still made us pay it. I dont have the money for an attorney right now and the IRS has come back on us for another year and I am just out of options. I really really need any advice and help that I can get. I am desperate and as you can figure out yourself she is not going to help with this situation because she thinks that she doesnt owe anything for alimony and spousal support. We reside in Virginia and this is where all parties reside. The payments for the alimony were written as they had to be paid until either party died or she remarried. HELP!!!!!!!!:confused: :mad:

I don't understand. Alimony is taxable on her end, not yours.

Also, I do not understand why your husband was ordered to pay alimony after such a short marriage. He must have had no attorney, or foolishly agreed to pay her just to get it over with.

I am not up to par on IRS/alimony laws so your husband really need to find means to hire an attorney.

I dont understand why the IRS is coming after your husband when it was her that didn't clain the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back