Aid & Attendance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang54

My motherinlaw is 87, has dementia and lives at an assisted living. We were told that she is eligible for VA Aid and Attendance. Can you tell me how long this process takes and has anyone ever filled out this application? Based on her income and living expenses she would be negative each month. Any advice you can send is appreciated. I was told she must have less than $80K in asssets, if she has an Annuity that lists her as the annuitant but daughter is the owner is that okay or should all assets be taken out of her name. Thanks.

It will take a year at least from the date you apply. We did the same thing. She did not have any assests. She gave her property to her son. She only had small ss income and a civil servant pension from previous husband. We had the doctors fill out the forms va provided AS MANY DOCTORS as you can get to fill out form regarding her condition. Started in March 08 and got all back monies April 09. We did have to contact our congresswomen though!!!!

she gets check every month and they increased her benefits this year. Each year you will fill out an update regarding expenses. The more the better and more money she will get.

Good luck!!

PS Your family member must have served in the military during either WW1, WW2, Vietnam War or Coast Guard active duty during war time. So your mother-in-law either had to have served or her husband. You will also need the service records. The more you put together ( documentation) to start with and submit with application the better.

Again Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back