Age of consent in NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderTwin

I'd like some clarification regarding the age of consent laws in NJ. I'm being told that it's 16. I know of a situation where a young lady was 17 (has recently turned 18) and the man was over 30. This is wrong on so many levels but I'm told the age of consent is 16 and nothing can be done.

Does it change if he's in a supervisory capacity? He wasn't her teacher, but he was in a position of authority.

What are the legal ramifications if any? What legal recourse is there for the parents?

I'd like some clarification regarding the age of consent laws in NJ. I'm being told that it's 16. I know of a situation where a young lady was 17 (has recently turned 18) and the man was over 30. This is wrong on so many levels but I'm told the age of consent is 16 and nothing can be done.

Does it change if he's in a supervisory capacity? He wasn't her teacher, but he was in a position of authority.

What are the legal ramifications if any? What legal recourse is there for the parents?

Age of consent in NJ is 18. However, if the lady is 17 she can consent to a male no older than 19. A 17 year old and a 30 year old is statutory rape- the parents can call the police.

Wrong. The age of consent in NJ is 16. Under 16, the other party (in NJ) can't exceed 4 years of age or be in a position of authority or be a family member at any age difference.

Wrong. The age of consent in NJ is 16. Under 16, the other party (in NJ) can't exceed 4 years of age or be in a position of authority or be a family member at any age difference.
I believe this is correct. No need to be snippy! :) The law can change over time and I'm relatively sure that this is what the law is currently in New Jersey state.

What if the girl is 16 he was 40 and a member of the Hackensack fire dept, left his wife and had the 16 year old move in with him???

I hope you're not serious. The age of majority is 18 (she's still a minor at 16) in NJ & until then she lives where her parents say. I sure hope the parents wouldn't allow this.

(The age of consent & the age of majority are 2 different things.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back