After two months, I have yet to recieve my deposit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deojyb

I lived in a campground/RV park for four and a half years. I finally got a house and moved out of there, but now I'm fighting to get my deposit back. I never sighned a rental agreement, but was paying monthly rates. Prior to moving out, I asked the manager what I needed to do to get my $500 deposit back. After about a week of continually asking, she finally told me to do nothing, since another tenant was buying my trailer and moving into the spot. She told me 21-28 days and I'll have my money. It's been two months now. I keep getting the runaround and excuses. Another manager of another park has been handling this because the manager of the park I was at doesn't know what she was doing. It was admitted to me that there are missing papers and inconsistatcies in my file, not my problem, but now they are claiming I didn't give a proper 30 notice. I have a witness to the manager telling me to do nothing, postdate a 30 day notice "if I want to look good on my file for future reference", not having anything to do with getting my deposit back. Finally I sent a certified letter stating that they have 7 days to get me my deposit or I'll have no choice but to go to court.
I have a reciept for my deposit. I have witness statements of the manager, which by California civil code section 799.26 is a representitive authorized to act on behalf of matters relating to the park, telling me to do nothing that I'll have my money in 21-28 days.
I left with two weeks paid rent, but the space was immediately occupied by the tenants who bought my trailer. My post-dated 30 notice, which the manager told me what to write, states that hey will occupy the space.
All I want is my $500 deposit back, but if they don't get it to me in seven days, do I have a case in court?
If I go to court, can I file for everything?
Am I entitled to my deposit because I did excactly like I was told to do?
Should I get my two weeks paid rent back because the space was immediately occupied?
Am I entitled to a "bad faith" penalty against them because there was no action on their part by 21 days?
Five weeks after I moved is when I started trying to get my money, calling them and only getiing a runaround.
Am I in the rihgt here?

You post dated your notice.
Please explain what you mean by the use of that phrase.
That could be why the manager is gone and you haven't received you money.

You can always sue.

That doesn't mean you'll get your money.
That is a road often filled with frustration ending with you holding a piece of pretty paper with a seal, and no money!!!

The manager came to my work and said, "You don't have to do anything, you'll have your deposit back in 21-28 days. If you want you can give us a post-dated 30 notice to look good in your file for future reference." So even though I didn't have to, I thought why not. I moved out on the 15th of February, so I dated the notice on January 15th stating when I'll be moving out and that the new tenants will be buying the trailer and moving into the space. I figured since it didn't have to be official to get my deposit back, I would do it because she said I could.

That manager is still there, but since she doesn't know how to do her job, the other manager is now handling everthing now.

I found out now that the law says I have to gove a 30 day notice, but since the manager said I didn't have to, does that still entitle me my deposit back?

If not, and I have to go to court, can't I file for a "bad faith" penatly because they didn't tell me anything after 21 days?

I found out now that the law says I have to gove a 30 day notice, but since the manager said I didn't have to, does that still entitle me my deposit back?

If not, and I have to go to court, can't I file for a "bad faith" penatly because they didn't tell me anything after 21 days?

You don't have to explain anything to me.

I read between the lines.

All I'm saying is that expect to hear a completely different story when you appear in court.

You can sue for anything you wish.

Watch what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back