After dismiss my attorney, what I am going to face before the finalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWoods

I have sent dismiss letter to the court and I am going represent myself. Due to some disputation on my final attorney bill, my attorney has not sent disconnection letter to the court so far.

I and my ex-to-be-husband have signed the divorce agreement; and now, what need to do is finalize the divorce. Now I was told that (1) his lawyer has sent the document to the court and my dismissed lawyer; and (2) if my dismissed lawyer does not response for these document for 2 weeks. His lawyer will schedule the court date.

My question is: what else delay or problem might caused by my dismissed lawyer for the finalize divorce?

I have sent dismiss letter to the court and I am going represent myself. Due to some disputation on my final attorney bill, my attorney has not sent disconnection letter to the court so far.

I and my ex-to-be-husband have signed the divorce agreement; and now, what need to do is finalize the divorce. Now I was told that (1) his lawyer has sent the document to the court and my dismissed lawyer; and (2) if my dismissed lawyer does not response for these document for 2 weeks. His lawyer will schedule the court date.

My question is: what else delay or problem might caused by my dismissed lawyer for the finalize divorce?

The court must approve your desire to terminate your attorney's services.
I suggest you contact the attorney's office, make an appointment, take a copy of your letter terminating your relationship, and hand it to him.

Or, simply take the letter to his office, ask his/her secretary to sign for th eletter, and leave the copy with the secretary.

Eventually, the judge must sign off on his termination.
Usually that is pro forma.

Maybe the lawyer never received the letter, maybe the lawyer is ill, maybe the lawyer has a family problem, who knows?

Ask him, her, or the office.

Or, maybe you owe the attorney MONEY.
That really complicates things.

I have file the dismiss letter to court, my dismissed lawyer and ex-to-be's lawyer.

Yes, there is a money issue involved that is causing the delays. I would like to go to the court by myself, and now I am facing on waiting 2 weeks for my dismissed lawyer's no response to continue the process. If I try to finalize before paying the disruptive lawyer bill, what are future problems etc waiting many 2 weeks for next steps?

Thank you.

As you can see, one of the consequences is a delayed result.

Another consequence is the lawyer will sue you for the unpaid fees.

Sure, you can go to court, but your case will be stalled or delayed.

I suggest you worry about paying your lawyer, otherwise the other party is going to have his way with you!!!!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

My dismissed lawyer maybe does not send dismiss letter to the court after receiving the payment. But this is not the point of this post.

The real issue is: From signing the agreement to finalization. The process steps are: (1) sending documents to my dismissed lawyer--current step, waiting for 2 weeks; (2) My ex-to-be's lawyer file to the court for scheduling the court date (3) go to the court to finalize.

My question is : Is there other any process missed here? Which step will be delay or caused problem by my dismissed lawyer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back