Affidavit of heirship and rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjmieslv72

My dad passed away in Dec 2006, his wife had him sign a will that is not valid in the Louisiana, it was not signed on all pages. I have 3 sisters and my dad had property from his previous marriage with my mom, his wife is not entitled to it. However, she refuses to do the succession because she doesn't want to be responsible for any of his debts, like the car he got for her in his name that she let them repossess. We had hired an attorney for the thing with my step-mom, but it got too expensive and in order for us to go any further we would have to take responsibility for his debts and his estate isn't worth the amount of the debt. She gave one of my sisters his truck right before Christmas this year (5 yrs later) and we signed an affidavit of heirship for her to be able to put it in her name. Shouldn't she have to pay us for our portion of the value on the truck? Is it too late to ask her for it now that we already signed? Did we sign away our rights to the truck by signing the affidavit of heirship?

You're fighting over nothing, by your own admission, dad's estate wasn't that valuable.
Beyond that, the SOL probably has tolled.
Your dad didn't need a will to pass his belongings to his wife.
I suggest you research intestacy in LA.
Besides, it's been five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back