Advice needed with how to best proceed in order to break lease and get compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

slinde

Hi, I am a student at Purdue University currently living in Lafayette. I need help/advice with how to best proceed in order to break my lease and pursue compensation from my current landlord. Any help would be much appreciated!

Long story short, the building I moved into has bed bugs, and my apartment was recently infested resulting in unforeseen expenses and a lot of psychological anxiety for both my wife and me. To start, I have learned that this has historically been a problem here, and this is information that was never shared with me before I moved in. Second, about a month ago, 2 other units were infected and treated, but the landlord did not inform any of the other residents of this, and did not pursue any form of preventive treatment for other residents. As a result of this negligence, the bugs have now spread to my apartment too. I have had to throw out furniture, cloths, etc. All I want to do now, is just move out of this place, and to be compensated for the bug-related expenses. I have taken photos of the bugs, bite marks, and have been in touch with the exterminators who informed me about the previous treatment done to this place (i.e. I did not get any of this information from the landlord).

There are other shady things about this place that I could list, and points on which the landlord has provided me with misleading/incorrect information about the place.

This is obviously a very uncomfortable situation we find ourselves in, so any information on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Perhaps you should consult the university housing office.
You might try consulting the law school legal clinic.
Breaking a lease, even with bed bugs is almost impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back