Assault & Battery Adult Probation Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

Does an Adult Probation Officer (Napa, CA) have an obligation to report domestic violence?
Also, what if a probation officer (off duty) is a witness to a domestic violence incident and leaves the scene and would not cooperate with the police in their investigation?
Last but not least, can a probation officer use her position to access court documents for personal use/knowledge?
Any help with reference to the above questions will be greatly appreciated.
Chrissy

No one is above the law. If you have evidence of a public servant violating the law, there are several remedies.

You can report your concerns to the employee's immediate supervisor or manager, the head of the state or local agency, the governor's office, your elected state and county officials, the local prosecutor's office, the state inspector general (if one exists in your state), or the agency's inspector general or ombudsman.

The biggest problem I see here, is that one person could see and hear something another person doesn't. Even if the other person observed an illegal act, no one can prove they saw it, if the person in question takes the sergeant Schultz (of Hogan's Heroes fame) and maintains: "I know nussing. Colonel Hogan, I saw nussing!"

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Does an Adult Probation Officer (Napa, CA) have an obligation to report domestic violence?
That depends on the details. Did he witness this act ON duty or in the course of his responsibility as a peace officer? Or, was it off duty? And, under what circumstances and details?

Also, what if a probation officer (off duty) is a witness to a domestic violence incident and leaves the scene and would not cooperate with the police in their investigation?
Again, it depends on the details.

Last but not least, can a probation officer use her position to access court documents for personal use/knowledge?
To access official record systems not available to the general public for anything but professional (work) purposes would not only be a violation of policy, but would also be a violation of state and federal law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back