Adoption regarding unmarried couples

Sara Murphy

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Is it possible for a boyfriend to adopt their girlfriend's biological child in any way without having to get married?
The biological dad is out of the picture.

Is it possible for a boyfriend to adopt their girlfriend's biological child in any way without having to get married?
Yes, if both the birth parents wish to relinquish their rights to the child BF could adopt...assuming he passes the background check and home study.

But I think what you are asking is if bf could adopt and you and he could be mom and dad without marrying...and No. That is not possible. If he isn't willing to commit to the mother by marrying her how could a court believe he will commit to the child?

Mothers and fathers all across the world have cared for, loved, nurtured, and parented children as single parents.

Single parents can and do successfully raise children to become responsible, productive, law abiding citizens.

No woman and no man NEEDS to think less of themselves because they are parenting alone.

Let's be clear what you are asking. This is what I think you want to know.

Betty has a child, Janie. Betty's boyfriend is Bob. You want to know if Bob can adopt Janie without marrying Betty, and then Betty and Bob together be parents to Janie?

Is that right? If not, what is?

In the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, virtually anything is possible, and no one here can intelligently tell you that there is no chance of something like this happening.

HOWEVER, logic dictates that most judges are not going to look favorably on an adoption petition when the prospective adopting father isn't willing to make a permanent commitment by marrying the mother.

Also, you note that "the biological dad" is out of the picture. What does that mean? Was that man's paternity ever established? If so, how was it established? Is there a custody/support order in place? Will "the biological dad" consent to the adoption?

Ultimately, the only person who can give you a reliable answer to this is a local attorney who handles adoption matters.

Let's be clear what you are asking. This is what I think you want to know.

Betty has a child, Janie. Betty's boyfriend is Bob. You want to know if Bob can adopt Janie without marrying Betty, and then Betty and Bob together be parents to Janie?

Is that right? If not, what is?
I think Betty had a child with Bill. They called their child Janie. Bill then drifted offstage. Now Betty has a new boyfriend named Bob. Bob is willing to adopt Janie but without having to marry Betty, and without involving Bill. Bob and/or Betty want to know if this can be done.

Not likely. Find a lawyer in your state who specializes in adoption but it's highly unlikely for a judge to approve that. Especially if the biological father is still alive and has established paternity.

You can still be a father to the child without adopting. I can understand not wanting to get married since it's quite possible to be in a committed relationship without marrying someone. But with adopting a SO's child - not likely without being a stepparent and the other parent relinquishing their parental rights.

I think Betty had a child with Bill. They called their child Janie. Bill then drifted offstage. Now Betty has a new boyfriend named Bob. Bob is willing to adopt Janie but without having to marry Betty, and without involving Bill. Bob and/or Betty want to know if this can be done.

Yes. That's what I meant, but you said it better.

Back