Adopt, Foster or Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakraidnut

I live in Tennessee. My daughters 16 yr old friend was just thrown out of her mother's house. Her grandfather has legal custody of her. Her only choice is to live with him. She wants to live with me and my daughter. Is there anything I can do to make that happen?

she might or she might not

I live in Tennessee. My daughters 16 yr old friend was just thrown out of her mother's house. Her grandfather has legal custody of her. Her only choice is to live with him. She wants to live with me and my daughter. Is there anything I can do to make that happen?

the only thing you can do is ask the grandfather if he is willing to sign custody over to you, if he says no, then its no. she doesnt decide who to live with untill shes 18, and you have no legal standing to do anything where she is concerned, she isnt your child. in other words, you cannot go to court and request custody of her because you have no legal rights to her at all.she may just have to live with her grandfather untill she is 18, because her grandfather is her legal guardian, whatever he says goes, and she cant live with anyone else without his permission

If you are in b.c. I know for a fact because i ran away a lot when i was younger, that if you are over 14 you can choose to live whith whoever you want. police cant make you go home, nobody can. you wouldnt have any authority over your daughters friend other than what she herself would grant you so maybe this isnt a question of YOUR rights but HERS. Plus whether or not you beleive she is responsible enough to make proper desicions and listen to your rules, even though she legaly wouldnt have to. once again i know this to be true in british columbia, i have no idea about anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back