Adding Rent as part of income

Status
Not open for further replies.

kisangben

I receive housing from my job and the lawyer for my plaintiff wants to add the rent amount as part of my income to increase the amount of child support i pay when it is calculated. Is this legal and allowed in court?

No i am not in the military but supervise apartments for rental and get one of the apartments free of charge

I receive housing from my job and the lawyer for my plaintiff wants to add the rent amount as part of my income to increase the amount of child support i pay when it is calculated. Is this legal and allowed in court?

As far as the IRS is concerned, your "free" rent is called imputed income.
If you were military, it would not be considered as such.
As you aren't military, it can be attributed as imputed income.

Will it?
That will be up to the court.
If you are without counsel, and wish to avoid a complete fleecing, I suggest you retain counsel.
The money will be paid to someone, eventually.

At least discuss your predicament with a local attorney (or three).
The initial consultation is provided at no cost to you.
You still have options.

I suggest you avoid the fleecing hanging over your head, much like the legendary sword of Damocles.

Again had you been military, it would have made things different - but in your circumstances? Yeap, that's generally income for the purposes of calculating child support.

You'll need to argue why it shouldn't be considered income.

It is an income and according to my experience the chances it will be treated as an income when calculating child support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back