Accused of theft!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chateau062098

I need help!

I was fired for accusations of theft of wages. First of all, I am INNOCENT! (just wanted to make that clear).

I work as a Human Resource Generalist of a company that provides HR services for other companies. My job, as you might imagine, involves a great deal of sensitive information.

What I was accused of is adding additional hours to my overtime pay and receiving a bonus that didn't belong to me.

A little about the process

At my job, I process payroll for my department, along with another employee (which I trained). Our employees submit their timesheets to us, and we ultimately send the report in a read and print only file that is sent to payroll for processing of the actual check. My coworker and I exchange the employee hours in an excel worksheet for peer proofing. At this point, the file is editable. I do last names A - K and my coworker does L - Z. My name happens to fall on L - Z. After we proof the report, the excel sheet is then switched between the two of us. After we proof that one, the report is converted into a "read only, print only" file and sent to payroll.

The accusation was that after submitting my own timesheet to payroll, during the proofing process, I changed my own overtime hours. The report is then submitted by my coworker in the protected file. I have nothing to do with the creation of the protected file. However, l DO have access to my hours prior to that file being sent to payroll. During the peering process, I only see "employee IDs" and not any names.

I am perfectly happy with the pay that I have received, and was not hurting for money. I didn't always check my paystub (maybe my mistake). My check was always deposited automatically into my account, so I never thought too much about it. Now, it is their word against mine, from what I see.

My theory is that my coworker has a bone to pick with me or was jealous of my position. I work HARD and get lots of praising emails and have received bonuses for my hard work. BUT, I cannot prove that she did it. AND, I cannot prove that I DID NOT do it. No one has ANY proof except for the document that differs from the timesheet that was turned in.

WHAT DO I DO!?

I am worried about getting another job considering they will inaccurately paint a picture of me when considering a new job.

I am also worried that they will ask me to pay back the money back.

A reasonable person, when they pretty much know what their average pay is (even without checking their paystub) would have noticed that there was too much money being deposit into their account or showing on their paycheck. What can you do right now? Not much besides moving on until your former employer (after they finish their internal investigation) asks you to pay the company back for the overpayment on your paychecks and decides what to do when it comes to pressing charges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back