Accused of indecency with a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnickersBar

About 6 months ago my 10 year old cousin accused me of touching him inappropriately. I've been arrested and released on bail but have not been indicted. I've already hired a lawyer and received advice. I'm just hoping for other opinions as this is all very nerve wracking.

I've read the police report and found out that he was caught messing around with another boy his age in a bathroom and used me as an excuse for what he was doing. My family and I asked around and apparently he's been caught doing this with a few other boys. Two of whom are not even related to us. We have signed statements from the parents of these other boys. After we found this out we also found out that at the time he said I did anything I was living in another city. I have a signed and notarized letter from the dorm I was living in that I wasn't even living in the bedroom he said the touching happened. Basically all they have is his interview as evidence which was apparently enough for an arrest warrant. Even though this is an anonymous forum I still feel the need to say that I haven't done anything and this little pervert has some problems.

My lawyer thinks I should take a polygraph. I think they're junk science but if it will really help convince the grand jury I don't mind taking it. The problem is I don't have the $1000 it costs to take it.

I guess I'm just curious as to others opinions about my chances of this returning as "no bill" from the grand jury. Should I sell what I own in order to pay for a poly or should the evidence I have be enough?

Since you have a lawyer, I don't like to go against the lawyer's suggestion(s). What does the lawyer think your chances are without the polygraph? My understanding is a polygraph cannot be used in court but a "good" test result can still help you sometimes.

About 6 months ago my 10 year old cousin accused me of touching him inappropriately. I've been arrested and released on bail but have not been indicted. I've already hired a lawyer and received advice. I'm just hoping for other opinions as this is all very nerve wracking.

I've read the police report and found out that he was caught messing around with another boy his age in a bathroom and used me as an excuse for what he was doing. My family and I asked around and apparently he's been caught doing this with a few other boys. Two of whom are not even related to us. We have signed statements from the parents of these other boys. After we found this out we also found out that at the time he said I did anything I was living in another city. I have a signed and notarized letter from the dorm I was living in that I wasn't even living in the bedroom he said the touching happened. Basically all they have is his interview as evidence which was apparently enough for an arrest warrant. Even though this is an anonymous forum I still feel the need to say that I haven't done anything and this little pervert has some problems.

My lawyer thinks I should take a polygraph. I think they're junk science but if it will really help convince the grand jury I don't mind taking it. The problem is I don't have the $1000 it costs to take it.

I guess I'm just curious as to others opinions about my chances of this returning as "no bill" from the grand jury. Should I sell what I own in order to pay for a poly or should the evidence I have be enough?

No one can second guess a grand jury. That said, very few NO BILLS issue anyway. One of my weird hobbies is statistically tracking grand juries across the US.

No bills are issued fewer than .75% of the time.

That's an average mind you of about 500 grand juries across the US.

My data has been amassed over two decades.

Once a person's name goes before a grand jury, an indictment is almost a certainty.

Signed statements mean absolutely nothing at all.
A polygraph means absolutely nothing at all.

And sweetheart, you don't go calling a 10 year old a pervert.

Signed statements mean absolutely nothing at all.
A polygraph means absolutely nothing at all.

And sweetheart, you don't go calling a 10 year old a pervert.

LOL, see, see what I've been going on about?
Happy New Year.

No one can second guess a grand jury. That said, very few NO BILLS issue anyway. One of my weird hobbies is statistically tracking grand juries across the US.

No bills are issued fewer than .75% of the time.

That's an average mind you of about 500 grand juries across the US.

My data has been amassed over two decades.

Once a person's name goes before a grand jury, an indictment is almost a certainty.

Thanks for your honesty. It seems silly that it's his word vs my word plus the fact that I was in another city plus his history with other boys plus a passed polygraph if I choose to take it. I just don't understand why the burden of proof is so low to ruin a man's life.

And Proserpina, he is actively molesting other boys his age. Pretty perverted if you ask me. When I was his age I liked Pokemon, not penises.

Thanks for your honesty. It seems silly that it's his word vs my word plus the fact that I was in another city plus his history with other boys plus a passed polygraph if I choose to take it. I just don't understand why the burden of proof is so low to ruin a man's life.

And Proserpina, he is actively molesting other boys his age. Pretty perverted if you ask me. When I was his age I liked Pokemon, not penises.

Actually that's a prime indicator that HE has been molested. And seriously? You honestly don't think a 10 year isn't going to play Doctor?

Come on now.

Actually that's a prime indicator that HE has been molested. And seriously? You honestly don't think a 10 year isn't going to play Doctor?

Come on now.

Curiosity is one thing but he is actively doing things with multiple boys and has been doing so for several years before the date he accused me of doing anything. I wasn't even living where he said I was living and have proof of residency to say so. It seems like any exculpatory evidence is not considered in these cases. You have a kid with a story and then you have a me with actual proof that I wasn't ever where he said I was along with multiple boys and parents saying this has been going on long before he was caught. And years before the date he said it happened with me. This seems to be the only crime where everyone considers you guilty and it's up to you to prove your innocence.

Come on now.

Most times it's best to take your attorney's advice. The attorney knows more about the case than we do. Good luck.

Most times it's best to take your attorney's advice. The attorney knows more about the case than we do. Good luck.

Thank you. I've been doing some research and found that my county has a fairly high no-bill rate when compared to the national. 11% overall and 51% in sex cases return as no-bill. I guess those aren't terrible odds before considering the evidence.

You've got to understand. Sex crimes are notoriously difficult to successfully prosecute and even more difficult when children are involved.

If any 10 year old is sexually molesting other children, he's acting out because he's been molested.

It's a sad, vicious cycle, but that's the way it starts.

You've got to understand. Sex crimes are notoriously difficult to successfully prosecute and even more difficult when children are involved.

I do understand. It's one of those things that's absolutely disgusting and everything possible should be done to punish those who do it. But not at the expense of innocent people and scapegoats. I'm only worried about myself right now. If a no-bill is returned then I will care what really happened with my cousin. Until then I'm trying everything I can to prove I didn't do anything.

Also, I'm curious. What are your grand jury statistics like when you break them down by crime?

I don't usually look at it by crime, because my premise was to see how easy it is to get indicted.
But, I did a quick analysis for the last five years, and drug related crimes tend to get NO BILLED the most, followed by vice crimes, then white collar crimes.

I'll look at some additional data after I return from my holiday later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back