Accommodation instead of child support???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonaMom

I have 2 issues at the moment..

1. I am living in my ex's grandmothers flat with our daughter as a form of child support. I get a miniscule cash component from him (R1400) and she is on his medical aid (R800). This has not increased in 9 years (actually decreased from R2300 to R1400 when I took my daughter out of private school). Her father is in and out of jobs, so the flat has been a secure source of maintenance for me which is why I have held onto it up until now. The father is currently unemployed but receiving UIF. I am going to take him to maintenance court to try and increase the cash component of maintenance from him. I have suggested to the grandmother that she continues using the flat as a means to pay maintenance but to rather get a tenant and pay me what the tenant pays. I have had estate agents value the flat at R7k. My daughters expenses with annual costs amortized amount to about R12k currently (excluding rent) which I am covering as a single mom on my own, working 3 jobs in order to do so. My question is, if she refuses - do I take his mother to court as he has no money? Or his grandmother as she has promised housing to us till my daughter moves out? They are a wealthy family and their standard of living is far above ours. They have to pay maintenance in cash, I just don't want to end up with less than what we are getting at the moment as we are already struggling to get by. (just to add that we dated for 2 years when I was 18 years old and fell pregnant by accident and I am STILL under their control which is just crazy and basically has put my life on pause)

2. Secondly, the father is planning to go work in the UK as of next year, leaving for 4 months at a time and coming back for 1 month at a time, so now not only am I carrying the bulk of the finanical strain but deserting his responsibility to provide care. I feel that at the very least he should provide monetary compensation for his absence as this is puts my job at risk and I will naturally incur more costs (my job requires me to work overtime which will be hard to do without his support). But he is refusing. (she is 12 and goes to him twice a week and we share sick days and holidays)

I feel I need a lawyer to clean up all of this mess but honestly already under financial strain.. any legal advice would be appreciated

I have 2 issues at the moment..

1. I am living in my ex's grandmothers flat with our daughter as a form of child support. I get a miniscule cash component from him (R1400) and she is on his medical aid (R800). This has not increased in 9 years (actually decreased from R2300 to R1400 when I took my daughter out of private school). Her father is in and out of jobs, so the flat has been a secure source of maintenance for me which is why I have held onto it up until now. The father is currently unemployed but receiving UIF. I am going to take him to maintenance court to try and increase the cash component of maintenance from him. I have suggested to the grandmother that she continues using the flat as a means to pay maintenance but to rather get a tenant and pay me what the tenant pays. I have had estate agents value the flat at R7k. My daughters expenses with annual costs amortized amount to about R12k currently (excluding rent) which I am covering as a single mom on my own, working 3 jobs in order to do so. My question is, if she refuses - do I take his mother to court as he has no money? Or his grandmother as she has promised housing to us till my daughter moves out? They are a wealthy family and their standard of living is far above ours. They have to pay maintenance in cash, I just don't want to end up with less than what we are getting at the moment as we are already struggling to get by. (just to add that we dated for 2 years when I was 18 years old and fell pregnant by accident and I am STILL under their control which is just crazy and basically has put my life on pause)

2. Secondly, the father is planning to go work in the UK as of next year, leaving for 4 months at a time and coming back for 1 month at a time, so now not only am I carrying the bulk of the finanical strain but deserting his responsibility to provide care. I feel that at the very least he should provide monetary compensation for his absence as this is puts my job at risk and I will naturally incur more costs (my job requires me to work overtime which will be hard to do without his support). But he is refusing. (she is 12 and goes to him twice a week and we share sick days and holidays)

I feel I need a lawyer to clean up all of this mess but honestly already under financial strain.. any legal advice would be appreciated
Sorry, this site is for US Law only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back