Accidently published false statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasa

The issue is as following.
I accidently ran into a statement published in one of the tutorial book printed by a well-known university. The statement describes the situation in which a made-up person acts unprofessionally to show readers that by his behavior the person violates some specific financial rules. Well, the statement is ok, and I do realize that the purpose of the statement is to teach students, but the name of the made-up person is exactly my name. And the occupation of that made-up person is the same as mine. I do believe that authors of the book didn't mean anything wrong and didn't do that on purpose. And that among readers there may be my clients and they will understand it properly, but can this case be considered as false statement that may affect my career and personal life?

It depends on how common your name is, and if a disclaimer was used.
Why not discuss your concerns with university officials?

Last edited:
Well, it's totally uncommon and that is the question.
Yes, I'm going to contact the officials about this accident. I think they will agree to change it in the next edition, but what will I do with the current one?

Well, it's totally uncommon and that is the question.
Yes, I'm going to contact the officials about this accident. I think they will agree to change it in the next edition, but what will I do with the current one?

If you require further legal advice, you are free to hire an attorney.

Generally there is a disclaimer noting that any names for example in the book that are the same as actual people's names are entirely coincidental. However, you can certainly talk to a lawyer.

Thank you, Betty3. I'll check if there is a disclaimer. However, I think it will be a proper decision to contact the officials and try to solve the problem. Anyway, I'm so impressed by the fact that my name is uncommon and it appeared in the book. I mean what are the chances that an author sitting thousands miles away from me comes up with the same name as mine? Like one out of a billion in my case! ))

Yes, I would talk to the univ. officials & see what they might do. It probably was a "shock" to see your unusual name in print.

If you don't know the author and the author would have no way of knowing you, it isn't defamation. It is just a strange coincidence. Writers make up names all the time and no matter what they invent, someone on Earth is bound to have that name. Think of all the Doe families who named their sons John.

ElleMD, you're right. I didn't consider the situation from that point of view, but it definately has sence. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back