accident caused by a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your insurance company should be able to give you guidance on this. It may be possible that the other person signed a waiver in order to collect the insurance money and may not be able to sue for more. Your insurance company deals with this frequently and should be able to help... it is part of what you pay them for.

Yes, a victim can sue everyone on the title. If this one is claiming damages in excess of your coverage, you need an attorney. Your homeowner's insurance could offer some assistance for liability. Some do, some don't.

Talk to a lawyer now. The initial consult is normally free. That way you can plan for later. It isn't wise to wait until you're sued. Better to know than to guess.

Your wife, if you're divorced, should also investigate her options. The victim has a lawyer. You need one, too. Why? They want your stuff!

Be advised, they could also come after the kid. They get a judgment now and use it after he starts working. You all need specific legal advice and guidance. Seek it.

Okay, I've had it. I've been reading your whines and rants on three boards now and I can't stand it any longer, I have to say this.

Dude, stop your wailing and whining and start being grateful your kid is alive. When I was in high school, the older sister of a friend of mine was killed in an accident that, but for being a one-car accident, sounds very much like your description. She lingered in a coma for ten days before she passed on, so her family had the bills to pay as well as the funeral expenses and dealing with the loss of their child.

This took place less than six months after a drunk driver plowed into a crowd of parents and students, but mostly students, who were legally crossing the street outside the school after a school event, killing two and causing permanent injury to several others.

Your kid is still alive and you don't have to pay for a funeral. There's no amount of money that can make up for that kind of loss.

Also, as long as I'm being blunt, stop wasting so much energy worrying that no one will tell you what kind of lawyer to get. There is no one right answer to this question. Talk to a general practice lawyer. Or several. If they think you need some kind of specialty, they'll tell you. Ask them what makes sense with regards to the specific facts of your specific case. Just because you consult with one doesn't mean you have to hire them.

You're using up energy you need for more important things, on things that don't matter. Stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back