Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Accessory to theft??

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy507

I was with a friend who got caught stealing from a retail store. I did not steal anything but was also charged with theft. Is this legal?

Did the police come & you were actually arrested & charged? You need to talk to a lawyer.

Hopefully you had sense to not sign any documents. If someone wants to accuse you of theft it has to be proven in court.
It it's possible that a charge could stick even if you didn't take anything yourself.

Depending on the circumstances of the theft yes you can be charged. However since you do not give us any info on the theft we cannot say but if I had to guess I would say yes its legal.

Accessory to Theft??? continued...

I wrote last evening about being charged with theft after a friend was caught stealing in a retail store. We were both arrested, and I was fingerprinted and had to post bond. I am a teacher and cannot have this on my record as it will ruin my career chances for a position at the university level. Here are the details. I want to emphasize that I had no knowledge my friend (former) was stealing clothes. We were in a dressing room and my friend was trying on clothes. I was on my cell phone and not paying any attention to her. Apparently she put some articles of clothing in her bag. As we left the store we were detained and he asked to search the bags. I had nothing but my friend had stolen merchandise. I was charged with petty theft, booked, fingerprinted, and posted bond to get out. My parents came and picked me up. I am 32 and just finishing my PhD and going on the job market for a university job. I am working as a substitute teacher now and I am scared this will ruin my life and career. What should I do when I go to court in 3 days and what are my chances. I have no previous record except for a fight with another girl at a nightclub years ago. I was not fingerprinted or charged in that incident.

goodguy507, I will combine this post with the thread you started previously.

I wrote last evening about being charged with theft after a friend was caught stealing in a retail store. We were both arrested, and I was fingerprinted and had to post bond. I am a teacher and cannot have this on my record as it will ruin my career chances for a position at the university level. Here are the details. I want to emphasize that I had no knowledge my friend (former) was stealing clothes. We were in a dressing room and my friend was trying on clothes. I was on my cell phone and not paying any attention to her. Apparently she put some articles of clothing in her bag. As we left the store we were detained and he asked to search the bags. I had nothing but my friend had stolen merchandise. I was charged with petty theft, booked, fingerprinted, and posted bond to get out. My parents came and picked me up. I am 32 and just finishing my PhD and going on the job market for a university job. I am working as a substitute teacher now and I am scared this will ruin my life and career. What should I do when I go to court in 3 days and what are my chances. I have no previous record except for a fight with another girl at a nightclub years ago. I was not fingerprinted or charged in that incident.

First of all, no one can predict the outcome of any legal matter.

We can only discuss and detail what we have seen.

That said, when you appear in court, you plead NOT guilty, make no statements or pronouncements surrounding this matter, admit to nothing, and request time to hire your own lawyer, or ask the court to appoint one to represent you.

Then you MUST shut up about this entire sordid affair.

Speak only to your lawyer about any of this, and stay away from the friend FOREVER, because no friend would do that.

The less you know about what the "friend" is alleged to have done, the better.

From what you've posted, you know enough to be charged as an accessory or a active participant, depending upon the laws in YOUR state.

Regardless of what state this is alleged to have occurred in, a criminal defendant is always BEST served to SHUT UP (just STOP blabbing about ANY of this), plead NOT guilty, HIRE your own lawyer, or request a court appointed lawyer, and speak ONLY to your lawyer, stay out of additional criminal issues during the pendency of the current matter before the bar, and wait for this situation to conclude.

If you SHUT up, LAWYER up, and STAY trouble free, wait, you MIGHT enjoy a positive outcome.

At this point, saying NOTHING, doing NOTHING, retaining a GOOD CRIMINAL DEFENSE lawyer, benefits you MORE than anything.

So, STOP asking the same question, and wait, and stay away from the other accused party in this matter FOREVER!!!!

Last edited:
When you go to court plead not guilty. You need to get a lawyer to help you get the best outcome possible.

Yes, it was legal to charge you. I'm not sure where so many people get the idea that there are laws that prohibit the authorities from charging them when they are found in an untenable position.

I'm not questioning your statement that your friend was stealing without your knowledge. I'm pointing out that the place to determine guilt or innocence is not there at the retailer, and the ones to make that determination is the DA or a judge, not the cops. You were there, the stolen merchandise was there. It's not up to the cops to figure out if you were both involved or not.

If it happened as you describe you should come out of it ok. They would have to prove that you had some role in the theft or at least knowledge of it or the intent to do it. Your presence alone will not be enough to convict you.

You need to discuss options with an Attorney. I work in retail theft field and can tell you that the one in company of the actual thief can easily be charged and convicted it witness statements and/or CCTV footage shows you as being aware of the theft then you are an accomplice. Now you can fight this but the cost will exceed the fine and if you lose you will likely have a criminal record and your career in the toilet. Discuss plea options when you talk to an Attorney and ask about ACD or diversion to protect your record and career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back