Access to pension information

willet

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Before I left a company, I became vested in the pension they offered, one that I can start collecting once I turn 65. I have had access to the company's pension site and been able to check the information about my pension for a few years now. The company recently changed their pension website and sent me instruction on how I can access the new site. Their instructions didn't work for me, so I contacted the company's benefits department. They confirmed that my information did not exist within the new pension system, even though it should. They indicated that they would have to fix this issue, and get back to me. They didn't get back to me. Since then, I've called and emailed several times over a number of weeks. Each time, I'm told that the issue will be addressed within the next couple of days, but then that doesn't happen. It's beginning to look like this is not going to get resolved just by my asking for it to be. Even though I am not collecting on my pension yet, my no longer having any access to even verify the existence of my pension is becoming very concerning. How long should I wait before taking a next step here, and what should that next step be? Can I pursue legal action to get them to act? Thanks.

Until you are entitled to collect your pension and cannot (or the company is otherwise in breach of the pension agreement), there is no legal issue here.

Back