Abusive situation NEED OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

17Alabama

Courts don't listen to our psychiatrist or what I want. My father will take me away through the courts if I don't figure a way out. I would rather go to jail than live with him and risk being emotionally and physically abused even worse. I am 17 but I will be 18 in a month and a half. In Alabama the age of majority is 19 though.

If I get married does he have any hold over me? I have already looked at the marriage laws and know what that requires.

Is marriage just as good as emancipation?

Are there any other options I have at 18 that leave the courts out of it?

I am also considering running away, are there actually any repercussions? I read that it isn't actually breaking the law but they could return me to my parents (which is fine as long as my mom has sole physical custody).

Courts don't listen to our psychiatrist or what I want. My father will take me away through the courts if I don't figure a way out. I would rather go to jail than live with him and risk being emotionally and physically abused even worse. I am 17 but I will be 18 in a month and a half. In Alabama the age of majority is 19 though.

If I get married does he have any hold over me? I have already looked at the marriage laws and know what that requires.

Is marriage just as good as emancipation?

Are there any other options I have at 18 that leave the courts out of it?

I am also considering running away, are there actually any repercussions? I read that it isn't actually breaking the law but they could return me to my parents (which is fine as long as my mom has sole physical custody).

untill you reach the age of majority, you must do what the courts tell you, wether you like it or not. running away will get you sent home. you are an alabama resident, and bound by their laws. period.

I am only brought back home though if a cop runs my name through the system. If I refuse to go with him what is the worst they can do? put me in juvenile hall or just hold me at the police station until I comply? I would be much much much safer with the cops than with my father. I seriously think he could kill me, he is that crazy but I have no proof because the court won't listen to the psychologist.
If I get married in another state am I still considered his property?

THANK YOU so much for your reply

not untill youre 19

I am only brought back home though if a cop runs my name through the system. If I refuse to go with him what is the worst they can do? put me in juvenile hall or just hold me at the police station until I comply? I would be much much much safer with the cops than with my father. I seriously think he could kill me, he is that crazy but I have no proof because the court won't listen to the psychologist.
If I get married in another state am I still considered his property?

THANK YOU so much for your reply

you cannot get maried without your father's permission untill the age of 19, and your spouse COULD face criminal charges, especially if they take you across state lines. thats a federal offense that carries heavy jail time

I don't know why you say I can't get married until 19. Every state's laws I have looked at say 18 including Alabama. Even if I needed a parent's permission I could get my Mom to, who has sole physical custody. Marriage laws vary by state.
What could my husband possibly be charged with if our marriage is legal?
I really don't understand how getting married is a crime. And shouldn't I be emancipated by the marriage? then I could move without ever having to tell him where I am or even that I have moved.

Even more has happened recently that I think I just have to runaway for a year and not talk to a single person. This is the only way I see that my mom won't end up in prison for with holding visitation or some such charge. This is the only way I see of keeping myself alive. I have access to a large sum of cash and I could find a place to hide out.

If your mom has physical custudy why is this a big deal?? You would be wth her? does she have any reason to loose that?? could she get your a lawyer to help fight your side? thats what I did with my dad and it worked.

Else your going to have to tuff it out until your 18 at least and move to another state. I know most states are 18 to be a "legal adult"..... Too bad your states 19.

You have other ways to get emansipated (SP) you can go about it other ways vs getting married. that isnt the answer trust me. And like others said he would get in alot of trouble bringing you else where and over borders as a minor!!!!!! Dont get him into that. He would be facing jail and alot of fines. Trust me.

Good Luck, keep us posted...

can i get emancipated out of my jurisdiction, such as another state. I am legally not allowed to move until my dad agrees to it (will never happen, already contested), a judge approves it (will never happen she already didn't allow me to when I had several good reasons), or I turn 19 ( which will be too late because he WILL get custody when he asks for it officially). He has threatened my mom, yelled at her that she is going to jail, and said that the judge is angry with her and they will get full custody. I don't doubt it either. This is the most childish judge I have ever heard of. I think I will be forced to just hide out until I am 19.

No state will emancipate a teen in violation of their own state's laws.

If your state says you cannot be married/emancipated until age 19, if you go to a state where you can be married/emancipated at 18, that state is going to say, sorry, we won't marry/emancipate you because it would be in violation of your state's laws to do so.

And the fact that you did not understand my answer is clear proof that you are not old/mature enough to be on your own.

I don't know why you say I can't get married until 19. Every state's laws I have looked at say 18 including Alabama. Even if I needed a parent's permission I could get my Mom to, who has sole physical custody. Marriage laws vary by state.
What could my husband possibly be charged with if our marriage is legal?
I really don't understand how getting married is a crime. And shouldn't I be emancipated by the marriage? then I could move without ever having to tell him where I am or even that I have moved.

Even more has happened recently that I think I just have to runaway for a year and not talk to a single person. This is the only way I see that my mom won't end up in prison for with holding visitation or some such charge. This is the only way I see of keeping myself alive. I have access to a large sum of cash and I could find a place to hide out.

if your mom does not have joint legal custody of you, she does not not have the legal right to consent to your marriage. in fact, she could face criminal charges, especially if she takes you to another state to marry. bottom line, you are considerd an adult in alabama at age 19, untill then, you cannot leave home without permission nor can you get maried without the permission of your legal guardian

my mom does have joint legal custody, and sole physical custody as of now. we are trying to take measures before he has any physical custody of me. i agree though best to leave mom out of it

Please don't insult me cbg. In Alabama i can be emancipated at 16 I believe and I know for sure at 18. I know that I won't be though because everything goes to this one judge who would never emancipate me. Also in Alabama I can marry at 18 with no parent consent or anything like that. AND it is not my fault your pronoun antecedents aren't clear. And why would I need to be emancipated when I reach the age of majority that kind of defeats the purpose. I am a legal adult at 19. Please do not judge my maturity level. I am not some whiny teenager who argues with his/her parents because they won't let him do drugs or she got pregnant. I am an actually quite intelligent person dealing with a corrupt court and a crazy father. Grades aren't a real actual indicator of intelligence but I am ranked 3rd or 4th in my class and I am a very respected person with high morals.

Anyway, I think I might just try to prove he is abusive some how. It is just really hard with emotional abuse. If anyone can help me on how to try to prove it that would be greatly appreciated. It probably will never work with this court system but it is worth shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back