Parole, Probation, Release Absconding from probation in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostinNY

I have been absconding for over 5 years. I currently reside in NYS. I am 50 yrs old , married with three minor children. I live a very quiet life and am only 2 minutes train ride from my employer ( a Law firm!) and drive rarely and only when necessary and very carefully when I do. I was sentenced for a felony and ordered to serve 120 days on weekend work release for having a fake ID and I could not attend due to no transportation. I have been gainfully employed in NY and have not had any police contact. I spoke to a friend of mine who is NYPD and he sd Ca will no waste their time to come get me if I turn myself in. Can I negotiate with the Probation Dept in order to clear up this dilemma or must I turn myself in? What are my options?

On the contrary. You're avoiding a felony, not some traffic ticket. You've been avoiding it for 5 YEARS.

You need to speak to an attorney before you do anything.

I have been absconding for over 5 years. I currently reside in NYS. I am 50 yrs old , married with three minor children. I live a very quiet life and am only 2 minutes train ride from my employer ( a Law firm!) and drive rarely and only when necessary and very carefully when I do. I was sentenced for a felony and ordered to serve 120 days on weekend work release for having a fake ID and I could not attend due to no transportation. I have been gainfully employed in NY and have not had any police contact. I spoke to a friend of mine who is NYPD and he sd Ca will no waste their time to come get me if I turn myself in. Can I negotiate with the Probation Dept in order to clear up this dilemma or must I turn myself in? What are my options?

California is suffering from a very severe financial crisis.

People have been able to reach certain deals with prosecutors in California.

You can try, but there is no guarantee.

More often than not in these situations, people are required to return to the state from which they absconded.

In some cases, they are charged with additional crimes related to their disappearance.

The problem for you is that once this is revealed, your life will become very complex and more difficult.

Your record will be revealed and you'll likely lose your job, and find future employment very difficult to obtain.

If you're currently working under an assumed identity that could also present problems, too.

You might wish to start by discussing your entire situation with a lawyer in your county or city.

See what they can say and discover.

Agree/concur with the other 2 responders re definitely needing a lawyer.

California almost certainly will not come to get you. But! That also means that any arrest warrant(s) will remain active (and as felonies) for the foreseeable future!

If your employer - or any future employer - does even a rudimentary background check, the warrant will likely be revealed. And, if you have hidden your past in CA from a current or future employer they could potentially terminate you for falsifying work documents, applications, etc.

Also keep in mind that the presence of a felony arrest warrant can also make you ineligible for certain forms of government assistance, welfare, Social Security, and even loans. So, while it may not be an issue just now, it might be if you start thinking of retirement or transferring to another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back