Aaarghhh! Help with travel expenses ? Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

missamira1

A little background...My husband has custody of his two kids from his previous marriage. We live in California. His ex-wife moved to North Carolina three years ago with her new husband and their child. We had been sharing travel expenses for visitation, with her purchasing one way tickets for the kids to travel there and with us purchasing their tickets to return home. She has visitation every other Christmas, every other spring break, every other Thanksgiving and every summer. She is ordered to pay only $133 a month in child support for both children. She generally pays about half of that amount each month. She has her own home daycare and only takes like 2 kids so her income is only like $500 a month. She refuses to work. My husband had a serious accident last October and is on workmen's comp so he is only receiving 2/3rds of his income. I have been unemployed for the last year. Needless to say, things have been tough and scraping together airfare has put us very very deep in the hole. We filed a motion to modify the order asking for her to pay for the visitation travel expenses, especially while my hubby is not working. They went to mediation and the mediator recommended that the kids go every Christmas and every summer. She had no opinion on the financial aspect of the case. They went to court and the judge decided to take it into submission...

We got the judgement yesterday and I was shocked!! The judge ordered that we purchase round-trip tickets and that the NCP has 30 days to refund us for half the cost of the tickets. We are living paycheck to paycheck as it is and do NOT have the money to do this!! What do we do now??? She barely pays the little child support that she is ordered. Even if we could buy 2 round trip tickets, what recourse do we have is she doesn't repay us? What happens if we just do not have the money to buy the tickets? Can we appeal? Get a different judge? Where do we go from here?

You can appeal it sure. I am surprised the judge ordered this given the fact that mom was the one that moved, and she is voluntarily under employed and does not even pay her CS as it is. That is a wierd judgement. I would not hold your breath on mom paying you back. Do you have an attorney that can help you for free or low cost? I would do some calling around.

We don't have any representation. We can't afford it and haven't been successful with finding a pro-bono resource. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back