A teller could have given me too much money back

beautifulMah

Went to the bank to cash my weekly check...however this is my works bank not my personal banking.
there is a check cashing fee if you do not have an account there and I know it.
As soon as the teller is aware of this again she makes a big speech about me opening an account for a small fee a month verses paying 4 times the small fee a month for weekly check cashing. Extremely annoyed bcus this is my lunch hour...I calmly opt to do it next time I return which is in one week. Teller photo copies my ID takes my number and my social so I can have my profiled build a day before I return so when I cash my check it only takes 5 mins or so to set up the account and I can be out of there in no time.

She cashes my check and counts the money out to me while simultaneously while still informing me about the account set up. I put the money in my pocket and walked away. few hours later im shopping and I think I have extra cash. I called a friend who works at a bank out of state to ask her could I be in trouble? She said call to ask the bank to pre balance.

We called bank on 3 way we stated I cashed a check there earlier and Im not sure if the teller gave me the correct amount of money. can you pre-balance to determine if this is true. Well this conversation took a turn for the worst. First I was asked to describe the teller I did. Next they asked for my Name an how much I though I was hesitant so speak so My friend is currently at a bank out of state said I'm not going to give you my name I just want to resolve this matter if there is a matter. The woman on the phone got annoyed and said I'm going to transfer you...not sure if she knew we were listening but she said there is somebody on the phone who wants the heavy set teller to pre balance so she can determine if the tell gave the incorrect amount of money. They transferred us and the teller who helped me answer the phone as some kind of mananger she said I work the drive thru and the teller line. We explained ourselves again then she said well in order for me to resolve this or help you I need you name...my friend said no you do not just pre balance and we can see if there is an error. the woman said I'm not going to have all my teller pre balance for you. she went on to say more stuff but by that time I had already hung up on her...too much yelling. Now I don't get off work until 5pm which is why I called first. bank inside hours close at 5pm. so maybe Monday I can go on my lunch break. but since they were rude as heck and almost trying to point the finger at me with their tone and disposition. I want to just say eff it. but my question is am I liable for anything. I didn have a receipt but she has all my info waiting to set up a new account next week.

please help me. Now at the end of the day that manager chick will still need to balance and if she is over or short then whose problem is that?

If your check was for $3,000, wouldn't it be easier to just count your money and see if you're over, under, or right on the target insofar as how much money you were given?

If you've already PROOFED your cash on hand and know you're OVER, why create a charade to have the teller pre-balance her transactions?

So, you were given TOO much money, and you appear interested in correcting the mistake.
Take it to another one of the baby's branches that is open and return it there.
Or, return it on Monday.

Last edited:
You noted you "think" you have extra cash. Do you not know if you do or how much? If you know you do & the amount, just return it.

Last edited:
Back