A Suicide, an emotional abusive father, 3 young girls suffering.

Lottaree

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I'll start from many years ago and make this As short as possible. My niece lived with. Very very mental and emotional man. He threatened to leave her over and over and he finally did. He filed for divorce. She had never worked and had 3 young daughters. She had no money. She quickly got a job. And started to try and support her and the three girls. Things fell apart quickly even though we all tried to help financially and emotionally. All this time, her soon to be x kept belittling her and wore her down. She was at the place in her life where she though removing herself from the situation would help her girls get supported. She though she was a burden to everyone. She definitely was not. Sadly, she committed suicide.

Everything turned into chaos. Her husband pulled the divorce papers out of court the next day. She was one month away from divorcing him. He now has control over everything.

I was extremely close to my niece and her daughters. They confide in me and send me screenshots and texts of what's going on. Their father is very emotionally and mentally abusive to them. He has plenty of money but he does not provide for them. He screams and yells at them. Just recently kicked out his 15 year old and the 17 year old try to protect the 15 and got throw out too. There is one girl left - she is 6. She is seeing all this and I worry for her. I worry for them all. He has guns (he has a license) but he pulled the gun out on his 17 year old twice. He said he thought she was burglar but she walked in the house at around 9 through the front door. Some nights - the 17 year old is afraid to sleep. She thinks he is going to come in and shoot her. He drinks, he's on heavy painkillers and he claimed to PTSD. He belittles these girls, told one the other day that she needs to get over her issues relating to losing her mom and he doesn't feel bad or even cares about her issues. She is the one that found her mother. These fights he has with them keep escalating each time to a new level. He has plenty of money, but hangs it over their head and manipulates everything. He didn't show up for two months prior to my nieces death to see the girls.

My question is - what would it take for me to have the girls come live with me? I am afraid for them. He is a very unstable person. What do I need to prove he is incompetent to take care of them? Thank you. I appreciate your help in advance.

Incompetency doesn't cause parents to lose their parental rights.

If there is any chance of you getting the girls, you would need to discuss with a lawyer. It would have to be handled through the court system.

If they are being abused, contact CPS. If they are being threatened with a gun, you might contact the police.

Betty3, I think this is my best approach. Talk to a lawyer. Thank you. I did talk to the police and if he has a license (which he does) and he thought she was a burglar (twice?!?) and he was in his own home, he had the right to pull his gun. Which sounds silly to me. I may call CPS too .... Just to have a general conversation - I am not trying to be vindictive or mean in anyway. I just want these girls to be in a loving home. With a loving parent. They have been through so much and don't deserve any more stress. Thank you for responding.

Whatever you try/do - the best of luck to you & the girls.

Back