A question I can't figure out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoNeYbAbY

Ok... I am a single mom never been married and when I went to court and had my papers drawn up, there was a catch. There was a "given" (that was not put into my papers.) That "given" was that neither I or my daughter's father could live with anyone until we were married to that person. Everyone that I have talked to has not really heard of this. It just doesn't make any sense to me. And I don't see it as fair that I can't move on with my life because I had a child with someone else. I talked to my lawyer about it and he said that it is frowned upon by the judges and they have the right to take away my/his visitation rights! Does anyone know anymore or anything about this?

Originally posted by HoNeYbAbY:
Ok... I am a single mom never been married and when I went to court and had my papers drawn up, there was a catch. There was a "given" (that was not put into my papers.) That "given" was that neither I or my daughter's father could live with anyone until we were married to that person. Everyone that I have talked to has not really heard of this. It just doesn't make any sense to me. And I don't see it as fair that I can't move on with my life because I had a child with someone else. I talked to my lawyer about it and he said that it is frowned upon by the judges and they have the right to take away my/his visitation rights! Does anyone know anymore or anything about this?
Are you saying that this "given" is like an "unofficial" word of the court? How did your lawyer explain this to you? Are you and your ex on good terms?

If you say that it is frowned upon by judges then your attorney might be saying that the judge is old school and believes that the "living with someone" status is immoral and/or irresponsible. But I'm not sure how that affects your rights in this case -- what is contained within the papers that seems to state this? Is there a law that your attorney cited about taking away visitation? It sounds like there is more here that we don't know since I haven't seen children taken away just for living with another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back