A father in desperate need of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst_Miller

:confused:I'm currently going through a custody case my x said she was taking the kids to get pictures taken with santa nad never came back. she moved 4 1/2 hours away that was a year ago on dec. 1st. since then i have not seen my son and only got to talk to him on the phone despite the fact he is only 13 months old for a short time after mediation until she said the papers were not legally binding and she didn't have to do it.I was the primary caregiver for the children hers and mine the whole time we were together she was in and out of jobs, stole things from stores on a regular basis took the rent money i had to mcdonalds refused to help pay bills and left me with back bills of over 2 thousand dollars which i was barely able to cover with my disability and had to spread it out over several months and get state help in the process.She was abusive to me and the children even got mad at me and left the baby choking as she stormed up the stairs slept on the couch while i was at the store and let her son run around by himself outside when he was barely 3.
Screams at the children beats on them and claimed she left because i was "forcing her" to go to counseling which might i add was couples counceling. She stated on the initial court papers there was no past abuse to her or the children and no worry of so, but when things didn't go so well in mediation filed child abuse and molestation charges against me on her older son (who is 3) 10 months after she left in the middle of a custody battle.Which was unfounded by child protective services)She also claims that my family is crazy and abusive and even went so far as to claim i was paranoid schizophrenic, which i'm not and have papers to prove what i actually go to counseling for which is bi-polar.
Now her lawyer filed for a discovery and wants all my criminal charges.I have 3 assaults that were put on stet docket which i was told means no conviction but if i got into any trouble in that year could be picked back up.They were from me and my brother which of whom i no longer speak too.he dropped the charges but the state picked them back up.I also have 2 burglery charges which the first i was a kid and was medling around abandon townhomes...i found out when the police came they were actually goverment owned homes which again i had no clue they were run down and falling apart.The second a friend (not anymore) broke into a church and stole things and when he got busted told them i had the lap-top and i had planned it i got burglery and conspiracy.I didn't know the lap-top was stolen but yes i did have it and had no clue he had broken into a church.I'am not covering for anything.I did have the belongings i did my time which was quite a while i was in those homes where i shouldn't have been weather they were run down and falling apart or not.I did what i did and was involved in all i'm not denying what i was charged for.
All these charges were 10 years ago.How bad is this going to look on me? and can her lawyer use the stet dockets on me?It means no conviction!I know the burglery's look bad but does it look any better that i have not done anything for over 10 years?I have grown up alot since i was in my teens and early 20's.I just need to know how those are going to affect me and how hey can be used in court?:confused:

Generally, your prior criminal history will have little if any bearing on your custody case. Just remember, it is always better to tell the truth. Don't try to sugar coat things.

Your priors tend to have more bearing on your custody case if you're still committing crimes or if the crimes have a bearing in your role as a father. Let's say you were molesting your children. Then your activities might have a bearing on your custody efforts. You're not, so just tell the truth, if asked.

You should also try and get legal help. Have you spoken to anyone at legal aid? Why not give them a call. They might be able to help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back