A dangerous mistress

Mariah Butler

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
My husband recently began cheating and has now left me for another girl and her baby. I'm 13 weeks pregnant. I have already filed a report about him kicking me the night I found them together. I've also had to contact her employers (she works at Walmart) and take it to home office due to threats she has made about "making" me have a miscarriage because I felt unsafe with her following me around the store. I do NOT want my baby around a woman threatening to kill it or a man who would physically harm me (no matter how small it seemed to him) while pregnant. I've been told because we are legally married, he automatically has rights to my child when born. Is there no way I can get those taken away and get full custody of my baby before birth so that he cannot take him/her at any time?? What can I do to protect my baby?

Is there no way I can get those taken away and get full custody of my baby before birth so that he cannot take him/her at any time??

No, nothing permanent

You can file a complaint about the "beating" he allegedly administered to you, and the police and prosecutor MIGHT decide to act.

More than likely he'll get a few weeks in jail, if that.

He's likely to receive, if convicted of something, probation.

Having him locked up will only hurt you and baby.

If he's free, he can work, and you can file for divorce, emergency spousal support, too.

What can I do to protect my baby?

File for divorce, seek an order of protection to keep the bum out of your home, and his money flowing into your bank account, if you file for DIVORCE.

Its time to forget that abuser, but NOT before you get divorced, a restraining order against her and his paramour, and seek child support.

Hire a lawyer tomorrow, and see if a smart, eager lawyer can get HIM to pay for your lawyer fees!

My husband recently began cheating and has now left me for another girl and her baby. I'm 13 weeks pregnant. I have already filed a report about him kicking me the night I found them together. I've also had to contact her employers (she works at Walmart) and take it to home office due to threats she has made about "making" me have a miscarriage because I felt unsafe with her following me around the store. I do NOT want my baby around a woman threatening to kill it or a man who would physically harm me (no matter how small it seemed to him) while pregnant. I've been told because we are legally married, he automatically has rights to my child when born. Is there no way I can get those taken away and get full custody of my baby before birth so that he cannot take him/her at any time?? What can I do to protect my baby?

IF you two are still married when the child is born then yes, he will be the presumed father and he will have all the rights you have. IF you are divorced when the child is born then he will not be the presumed father and will have to file to establish his rights. Have you started divorce proceedings yet? I would if I were you.

No one has rights to the fetus prior to birth. There is no rights to have until there is a baby born. The only way you can is if you're divorced before the child is born. Then he has to file for custody.

I would just not bother with either one of those two morons. Let her have that guy. It's not your loss. If he has been violent then that's good you reported it. I would file for a protection order as well. If you reported it to her boss that's all you can do. They can do what they want or choose to do nothing. I would just avoid Walmart all together if I was you. Go shop somewhere else.

Block him, block her and stay away from them and just worry about yourself and the pregnancy. You can't really do much until there's a child but you need to go find a divorce lawyer like yesterday.

No, nothing permanent

You can file a complaint about the "beating" he allegedly administered to you, and the police and prosecutor MIGHT decide to act.

More than likely he'll get a few weeks in jail, if that.

He's likely to receive, if convicted of something, probation.

Having him locked up will only hurt you and baby.

If he's free, he can work, and you can file for divorce, emergency spousal support, too.

File for divorce, seek an order of protection to keep the bum out of your home, and his money flowing into your bank account, if you file for DIVORCE.

Its time to forget that abuser, but NOT before you get divorced, a restraining order against her and his paramour, and seek child support.

Hire a lawyer tomorrow, and see if a smart, eager lawyer can get HIM to pay for your lawyer fees!

He "can" work but that doesn't mean he will. Having the "father' locked up isn't always a bad thing if they're never contributing anyway. I would much rather my ex husband be locked up for eternity than be out free.

Many just won't grant it until the child is born but they'll file it. But I have yet to find anything that states Oklahoma won't grant a divorce while pregnant.

I would get a lawyer. Also - you need to get a protection order in place asap too.

Back