88 Year Old Aunt with Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

joyechizek

I have an aunt who just turned 88. We visited her every weekend from the time I was 3 in 1954. She is 8 years older than my mother from a famliy of 9 children each exposed to different aspects of a frightening abusive childhood.
My aunt had breakdowns when her children were born 62 and 58 years ago. Then in 1967 she was hospitlized for paranoid schizophernia for over 2 months with shock treatments. She is highly religious and had was married to a forceful husband who mirrored her forceful father so she was never allowed to seek help or be on medication. In 1980 I developed bipolar disorder. In 2002, my aunt had another major breakdown and was hospitalized and because of my illness diagnosised as having bipolar disorder with psychotic features. Her daughter had moved away after high school and her husband and son both refused to deal with her "craziness". After the 2002 hospitalization, she called me every day to insure our wellness and that we both took our meds and were okay. In Feb. 2006, her husband died and her son took her in then shortly sent her to a dementia home. Her estate was assessed at $1.5 M. In the meantime a new Jack Nicklaus Gold Course has been built adjacent to her farm land on two side easily doubling the wealth of the porperty. The will Aunt Vera and Uncle Ed had for their 63 years of marraige spilt the estate 50/50 between their two children. When my cousin Eddie took his mom to switch the estate to her name it was like this. Then a week later he took her back and had it switched 2/3 for him, 1/3 for his sister. I have no financial interest in this, but feel that while my aunt is well in my respects she has never been given the consistent treatment I have had for 28 years to be truly stable. After the will was changed, her son then refused to allow his mother any psychiatric treatment even when she begged me and everyone around her for treatment in Jan-March of 2007 when she again had a major breakdown. In addition to what I would call schizoaffetive disorder my aunt also has dissociative identity disorder and has a complete set of easily idenifiable personalities each with a different voice, allegies, some deaf, some who can hear, some who wear dark glasses, some who wear no glasses, mostly women, some men and certainly different ones who speak to each of her children, me and what she calls the "government ladies" when they come to try to find out what going on. As you can imagine this makes it all very weird, and my cousin Ed - who has a person wealth of $15M is using her illness to keep her isolated and from allowing her daughter out me from seeing here plus has stated he intends on dragging the estate out so his sister gets nothing. There's a ton of money here should someone want to jump in a try to untangle it...and plenty of weirdness too - most of which has been documented well since Jan. 2007. I think at least there is abuse of POA...any advise to help this sweet crazy old woman? Joye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back