1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

$8000 Charge on Leaving Property

Discussion in 'Moving In & Out, Movers' started by SHLZ, Jan 15, 2019.

  1. SHLZ

    SHLZ Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    We moved into a home owned by a company who rents homes specifically - NO SALES. We moved in April 2015. Because we had so many plumbing issues, we decided to terminate the lease early. We terminated the lease December 2018. Because we knew they would fight us on returning the deposit, we considered it a loss cause. However, on January 15,2019 we received a notice of what they would be charging us. The amount was well over $8000. This took us as a surprise! We were charged for a new refrigerator, a new door, new HVAC and other things we thought were normal wear and tear such as the carpet (they charged us over $2000 to replace all the carpet on the 1st floor). They are even charging us to replace shower heads. While we anticipated some charges, they are charging us for things I do not believe should be our responsibility. The fence needed repair. I believe the winters and storms did some damage but they were not well built. They were leaning when we moved into the house, Now they are charging us to replace the fence although they refused to replace it when we told them it was no longer in good shape. In any case, can you give some indication on what our next steps should be. We don't want to go to court but we will. I would definitely appreciate any assistance you can provide. Please note:

    1. They indicate an initial visit to identify problems That never happened.
    2. They indicate there would be occasional onsite visits to the property to check on upkeep. That never happened.
    3. Why would we be charged for the HVAC?

    Thank you for your help.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You might ask "them" that question, mate.

    If two parties disagree and one or both parties are unable to negotiate a settlement, going to court is the only lawful way to have the matter adjudicated.

    I suggest you file against the landlord in small claims court.

    You can sue someone for $10,000 or less in an Illinois small claims court.

    It has simplified rules and can go much faster than other types of cases.

    There is useful information on these links:

    Small Claims Information

    Small Claims
  3. mightymoose

    mightymoose Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You have no obligation to pay what they ask. If they insist you pay they must get a judge to order you to pay. To do that they will have to present their argument in court and show why you are responsible for the cost.
    You will have opportunity to explain why you are not responsible.
    The judge will decide.
    The more bogus stuff they put on there the better off you are. The judge will see right through their scam.
    If it goes to court do not ignore it. You must show up and argue your case against their demand.
    In the mean time, if you have already written off your deposit and expect to get nothing, simply ignore them and wait to see if they advance the matter to court.

Share This Page