Other Immigration Law 8 years in the US, have a 19-months old son -- please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_kitty

I came to the United States in September 1999 on a tourist visa, which was only good for six months. Technically, I've been here illegally since March of 2000. There was absolutely nothing I could've done about my visa. I'd have to go back and then reapply. I'm from Azerbaijan, which used to be part of the former Soviet Union. I was able to come here because at the time I was working for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and it was my vacation. In May of 2006 me and my boyfriend for the past 4+ years became proud parents of a baby boy. Last May we purchased a marriage license. Wedding plans right now are subject to financial difficulties. I was wondering whether the fact that my child is a US citizen changes my situation in any way. I always had a job since the age of 16, and back home supported both parents who lost their jobs as a result of the collapse of the USSR. I want to be able to go to work again, have that sense of accomplishment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Having a citizen son would not change your status. It would matter only if your son is an adult to file for you. Given you entered here legally and must have an I-94, you have a short at regularizing yourself here. Is your BF a citizen or GC holder or legal?
You have to examine that and try to get legal status......with all the buzz immigration is getting this days, you don't want to be illegal.......anything can happen.

Finally! So glad to see that someone replied...

My boyfriend, baby's father, is a US citizen. We have a marriage license but right now all that is up in the air. However, I'm illegal, he's a citizen, and he's on baby's birth certificate. So basically I have no rights whatsoever. Right now my son and his father are staying with grandma, and I'm homeless all alone, conveniently discarded, with no rights to even try and fight for my son... :(

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

I need to get my life on track, and take care of my son. His father can continue living with his mom who'll be 77 this January; same situation he was in when I first met his mother and him. Mom would never kick him out, he could be unemployed yet he'll always have roof over his head, bed to sleep in, cigarettes and beer. We've had our own place thanks to a rental voucher from Catholic charities for two months, October & November. During that time he didn't bother to get a job to make sure we have a place to stay come the holidays. Now I've been discarded and forgotten, and they know I have no rights, being illegal and all, and have now been separated from my little boy for well over 3 weeks... Somebody, please help me, there's got to be something I can do!

heartbroken in Las Vegas :confused:

I feel your pain………I can't give you any advice to break the law and work. All I can say is that……. try getting money by borrowing, help, or however in your power per the law. If you can get enough to file for the marriage and immigration papers, you would be in position of getting a GC. Money would definitely help you. You have to be patient with the guy and his mom…………they are the only ones who can help you become legal. You have already given a lot into the relationship. Feel free to let me know if you have more direct questions. Try seeking for more organizations which can help you in your area……..If you have any private questions, feel free to send me a private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back