5 Years NO Contract - is Boss treating me fairly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylt

Hi,

I have been working for the same company for the last 5 years, I was originally employed to work 3 days a week (Tues, Weds, Thurs). Before starting with the company I was given a letter that explained my duties, salary, hours and holiday entitlement (3 weeks + 2 weeks Christmas closure and Bank Holidays).

After 9 months the office became very busy and to help out I was asked to work Mondays, Fridays and some Saturday mornings. This became a permanent arrangement, but it became apparent at Christmas (6 months later) that my new hours had not been amended on the system, as I was only paid 6 days when everyone else was paid 10.

When I took this to the office manager she stated that I was only contracted to work 'part time' and that was all I was entitled to. I went to the Director of the company, although he couldn't or wouldn't give me the lost 4 days, he assured me that I would be paid Bank Holidays and Christmas like everyone else in future and I would be made up to full time status.

3 and a half years later I was finally made up to Full Time status on our payroll system. But I never received any thing in writing.

About 3 years ago my role also changed and I became in charge of hired plant, even being referred to as the 'Plant Manager' by my Boss. Again nothing in writing.

In August, I returned from holiday to find a new member of staff in the office. I was then introduced to the new 'Plant Manager'. I was absolutely livid, I felt like screaming, instead I walked out quietly and jumped in my car and drove off to go and calm down. Moments later I received a call asking me to come back to talk by one of the other managers. When I got back I was told that the Boss said I had been told about this a couple of weeks ago, that my position was to change and I was to take on more of an administrative/training role. Last Christmas he had mentioned that there 'might' be some changes, but nothing was said for definite. I was really upset by this, I had a very good relationship going with all the plant hire companies and felt embarrassed when they telephoned and I had to put them on to someone else. I had to move all my belongs from the desk I had occupied for 5 years and move them into a portakabin on my own as there was no other office space available. The heater doesn't work properly, so it's either too hot or freezing cold, and the lighting is poor leaving me with a headache. I feel totally isolated and cut off from the office environment.

I have since learnt that he also wants to cut our holiday entitlement down to 2 weeks and 2 weeks at Christmas. The reason he is stating for this is because there are so many Bank Holidays, that when you add them up they total a week anyway.

As I do not have a formal contract, I do not know where I stand.

Your reference to Bank Holidays leads me to believe that you are in the UK, or possibly Canada. Is this so? The laws in the US and the laws in the UK and Canada are not the same.

Yes I do live in the UK.

Since posting message yesterday I have been on an interview for another job, this time I will make sure that a contract is drawn up so I know where I stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back