401K "opt out"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercymillennium

Hello,

I have 2 problems I need legal advice for in the state of California.

1. My company has automatically enrolled us in a 401K program. They are not doing funds matching so I do not want to be part of this program. However, they are telling me I have to deal with this 401K company to remove myself from this program. I've never heard of these people and when I call them they are asking for personal information that I am not inclined to give out. I would prefer to deal with the finance department of my company to un-enroll but I have been told flat out that they will not do it. This is setting off all kinds of warning bells for me. I've never heard of a company that has a "opt out" program for enrolling in a 401K and makes it so hard to actually "opt out". Bottom line is I want out but I do not want to deal with these 401K people AND give them my SS number and address and phone number and so forth. I want to verify my identity to my employers finance department (who already has this information) and have them opt me out. I am very unhappy that my employer would give my information out like this without my consent on a program of no value to me (If they did any funds matching maybe I'd be more amiable to the idea) and then won't takes steps to reverse this action.
2. My second problem is not as important I am mostly asking because I am here. My employer is a contractor for HP. HP takes a week off during Christmas. We only get paid for the 2 federal holidays and are forced to use our vacation time for the other 3 days that HP is closed. I would prefer to just take them as non paid days off so I can save my vacation and take my full time when I actually AM going on vacation. My employer tells me I have no choice and must take the time as paid vacation if I have it accrued. That seems very funky to me. Is it true?

Thank you for your time.

1.) You don't get to choose who unenrolls you. Sorry.

2.) It's true if the employer says it's true. That's not a question addressed by law; the law neither requires nor prohibits it. It's the employer's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back