35 minute work time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inez_K

I am required to return to work 6 hours after my shift is over for a meeting, every week, lasting 35 minutes. I was hired as part time, with 4 hours in the mornings.
I was told that if I am required to do this, my employer must pay me for 2 hours.
Can I be forced to come in 6 hours later, and if so; does the employer have to pay me more than 35 minutes.

The answer to your question is state specific. No Federal law requires that you be paid for any time you do not work; a VERY few states have minimum shift or reporting pay laws that require you to be paid a minimum length of time if you are called in.

You CAN be required to come in at whatever time your employer says.

What state are you in? That will determine whether you have to be paid for anything more than the 35 minutes.

I am in California.
Even though I work in the mornings,I can required to come in the evening for "just" 35 minutes?

California IS a state with a reporting time rule.

Yes, even though you work in the mornings you CAN be required to come in, in the evening just for 25 minutes, and you can be fired if you refuse. However, because CA has a reporting time rule, you would have to be paid for two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back