30 day verbal notice on a lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acruicks

I live in California. My lease states that it will terminate on October 5 unless We have extended the agreement in writting or if landlord accepts rent (Other than past due) in which case a month to month tenancy begins...., Then later under tenants obligations upon vacating it states "Give 30 day notice to renew or "vate" before lease expires" I have verbally given my notice on several occasions in the past 3 months and now they are telling me I need to provide one in writing although it doesn't state in my lease that I do. I also have monthly pest control and never recieved the original notice given to my landlord from the pest control company. I am wondering if What I have done complies with my lease and if not, them not providing me with the original notice from the pest control company voids my contract and allows me to break my lease? I also disagree with them using "Vate" in the contract because that is not clear and it's leaglly binding. I can't find anything online so I'm hoping someone can help me. Thank you!

As you will see on the link provided below, California Landlord/Tenant law requires that you give your landlord writtennotice when it comes to ending the lease. Vate I think was meant to say vacate (just a typo on their end) and your agreement is not voidable just becaue they have not provided you with the original pest control notice. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.shtml

The link that was provided is to end a periodic tenancy. Is a one year lease a periodic tenancy? everything that I have read regarding periodic tenancies is month to month.

If you had clicked on the link on the left of the screen (read the california tenants book) you would have found your answer to it too. Regardless of what type of tenancy, you still needed to give your landlord a written notice.

Thank you for your reply, I was just getting confused because the civil code says you have to give a written notice if the period of tenancy is unspecified. I thought my lease would terminate on the date it said. Thanks again for the informaion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back