30 Day No Work Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancleg

I was terminated for violating a 30 day no work policy while I was laid off for the summer. My employer offerred my 2 assignments that were too far away for me to accept, and they knew that before the summer. They are claiming that because they had work available to me, I was in violation of this policy.

This is a policy that none of the employees are made aware of. The company told me it's an "adminitrative rule", and they are not required to tell us about it. It is also not well enforced.

I know of one other employee that did not work this entire summer, and did not get fired. The company claims they had no work for her, which I do not believe. Another employee did not work all of last summer, and was not fired. The company's resoning for this one is that they recently started cracking down on this.

They told me "you can't just not tell your employer when you'll be back to work and expect to keep your job". I had a scheduled return date, online training for the summer that they never scheduled, and closer sites they could have contacted me about. They chose to terminate me 60 days into the lay-off, just 2 weeks before I was scheduled to return. I have no warnings on my record, and I was in the middle of an accommodations request with them before I left for the summer (they got the letter from my doctor 2 weeks before the lay-off).

Isn't this policy something employees should be aware of? Does this sound fishy to enyone else? Any advice? I'd really appreciate anything anyone can come up with.

Candi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back