3 month old out of wedlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagochick77

I have a 3 month old daughter. I had her out of wedlock. Her father and I lived together for 5 months of the pregnancy and then he didn't want to be with me any longer. He hasn't paid child support and has only seen her once since her birth. If this gets taken to court, will he get joint custody? Will the judge appoint supervised visitation because I am concerned about his alcohol usage?

I also heard that there was a law that states if the father doesn't prove paternity by 6 months old, he has revoked his parental rights...that is if he knew the child was his. Is this true?

I need help because I don't know what my rights are or how to protect my daughter.

That is not true there is actually no SOL in most states that gives a father a limited time frame to establish paternity. Until there is an order from the court you do not have to allow visits. Have you actually filed for child support?

Dad can always take you to court to establish paternity and file for custody and or visitation. You can crtaily ask for supervised visits to start but no guarantee he will get them. The alcohol usage probably will notmatter unless you can prove he is a threat to the child and that does not include social drinking. If he recently has had a DUI then you might have a case, but the courts do no take away visitation rights just because of alcohol, generally.

Married or not, Dad does have rights. If you file for child support he likely will want to see the child. Even if you dont he can take you to court for visitation.

See an attorney if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back