2008 Tax Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearswer

My ex and I were married for 26yrs divorcing 8-2008. He cheated on me with a close friend and they married right after the divorce and are having a baby. He has lied about everything from day 1. I got little in the divorce. Now he tells my son to tell me that we have to file our 2008 taxes together because we were married more then 6 months into the year. He want to claim the interest in the house payments and he says if he doesn't get to he wil ahve to pay thousands in taxes becasue he has nothing to claim. I say no I dont have to and I dont think it legal anyways. I was awarded the house which we still owe alot on he had to sign a quick deed giving me his share. Do we have to file together? can we legally? Can I say no or would it also benifit me to file together. Thanks so much for the help:)

You do not have to file together for tax year 2008. You have the option to file married filing jointly or married filing separately and if your divoce was finalized by Dec. 31, 2008,you can file as head of household or single.. You can only file head of household if you lived apart for atleast 6 months out of 2008. Go to the IRS web site and in the search engine search "filing status". It should explain your options and the laws to your filing status under publication 501.

You should consult a tax professional. Your ex may be entitled to claim his share of the real estate exemption if he contributed to the house for the 8 months you were married in 2008.

Also, I doubt that anyone can tell you which filing status is most beneficial to you without knowing your financial situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back