20 year old sibling gaining custody of 3 younger siblings

Vee23

Jurisdiction
California
I really need help and im not sure who to speak to. I am 20 years old and i live in napa county CA in my boyfriends home and i work as a server. My siblings live in lake county CA with my mom. Our Dad passed away 2 years ago. My mom called me to come watch my siblings on 12/20 because she is turning herself into the police, she has to go to jail from anywhere from 22 days to 18 months. She said she will turn herself in tomorrow 12/22/16 and i arrived 12/20 within 2 hours of her call. She has not been to the house to check on the kids nor did she leave money or an adequate amount of food to feed my siblings. Thankfully i have a couple hundred on me. I put food in the house and i have not left my siblings side. I have to return to work in napa on xmas eve in a few days. I am bringing my siblings to my boyfriends house who they absolutely adore vice versa. Since i am the one who she has called to help and my father is deceased, what do i do from here? I dont know where my mother is staying until she turns herself in but she says she will come to the house tmrw to give me the card she recieves my siblings SS money (from my fathers passing) their SS cards along with health care cards ect. ect. Before she turns herself in. I have always been the one to pick up her slack where she falls short in providing for our family. My siblings tell me the majority of the time they are hungry and when my mom is home she just sleeps. Sometimes she leaves to her boyfriends house to spend the night. She has been living in her new rental for about 2 weeks and before that she was staying with a family with my siblings for a few months because she was basically homeless. She has been living with people for about 3 years. She cant seem to get her act right. I got my siblings phones a while back in case they needed to call me in an emergency because she is NEVER reachable and the majority of the time MIA. She doesnt have a job and has been unemployed for about 3 years. She survives off of my siblings SS. Shes doesnt look for a job nor does she feel the need to. Tomorrow i might know how long she will be in jail for. In the meantime i have a life in napa i would like to get back to (because i need money and i have to work) but there is no way im going to have CPS come take my siblings away. I am very scared of that happening. They are great children and i love them i put them before anyone. Its upsetting this is how they have to spend Christmas. I need help does anyone have any questions or answers? I dont have much money for a lawyer and i dont know the steps into gaining full custody of my siblings or if i am even eligible. Thank you for any information you have. My siblings are 15 13 and 11. Rough years for them.

Child services is the agency you should contact.
You can ask to be the guardian, but it might not happen.
Children can't be passed around like kittens or puppies.
I see several barriers that might impede you becoming their legal guardian.

Without the funds to hire an attorney, you're at the mercy of child services. Even if you hired a lawyer, at your age becoming a guardian will be difficult.

If your mother hands over a debit card she uses to access SS funds, that isn't simple either.

Child services might help you, especially if you touch someone's heart during the Christmas season.

Your story is compelling, but child services and eventually a CA court makes the ultimate decision.

Back