2 CA speeding tix in 7 days 85/65, 68/45

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasi

Need advice on how to best approach this..
ticket 1: CA freeway @ 2 am going 85 estimated (65 limit) cvc 22349 by CHP
ticket 2: 7 days later, los angeles co., surface street @ 8am, downhill going 68 radar/laser? (45 limit) cvc 22350.

In both cases, I don't think I was going as fast as stated.

Are these being so close together going to impact my record adversely?
Can I opt for traffic school for either?
Which (or both) should I try to fight (and may be successful)?

Thanks

You can only go to Traffic School for one of the Violations since you can only go once for citations in an 18 month period.

I think you should try going to court for them both, but chances are you'll end up paying Fines (that might get lowered if you go to court).

From my knowledge I know in CA, they are not required to show you a print out from the radar.

Are these being so close together going to impact my record adversely?
Yep. If you are really lucky, maybe the court would be willing to merge them in to one case ... assuming both are in L.A. County.

Can I opt for traffic school for either?
You can try. The court MIGHT let you take traffic school for the second one, but don't count on it.

Which (or both) should I try to fight (and may be successful)?
That depends on the tack you are going to take.

Speed cites can be successfully challenged but they take a lot of work. The "easier" of the two might be the 22350 citation, but that will still take a lot of work. If you Google appropriate terms for "California", "speed", "defense" and "22350", you might get a lot of somewhat decent info. But, any defense will take a lot of work on your part. And, beware some of the stuff you will read about because doing some of those things half-assed tend to land you in trouble with the court. A LITTLE knowledge can get you in more trouble than it can resolve.

Oh, and to add to the other comment: Our radars do not HAVE printouts ... I am not sure of any that do - at least none that I am aware of.

- Carl

Thanks to both of you for the advice. The "takes a lot of work" to fight these is something that I'm not prepared for, and at approx $270 a ticket, I don't know if I can afford a lawyer on top of it to fight for me.

Paying the tickets and going to traffic school (for one) will add up to around $580. I would then have to keep clean for a couple years according to my insurance or risk losing the "good driver" discount (1 or less point on record).

Any ideas on what the cost for the lawyer would be?
worth it?

(sorry for the late response guys...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back