2 businesses collecting for same debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobmtndesigns

In April 2005, I sent my hosp a letter stating what I was going to pay for a surgery I had a month earlier - they had sent over 4 diff versions of their bill. For the next 6 months, I made a payment every month and did not hear anything more - I was not even receiving bills! But I continued to pay promptly. In Dec, I start getting phone calls & bills from the hosp and also from a collect agency=all for the same bill !!

This seems like harassment and is definitely confusing for the public. I sent a letter to the hosp admini stating the Estoppel by Silence seemed to apply here - no response just more bills!!

Can 2 diff businesses try to collect the same debt at the same time? I have never missed a payment and have kept all paper work.

If it were me, I'd write a letter to the collection agency, and CC: the hospital, stating your concerns regarding debt harassment, and also formally notify the collection agency that you have been making payments directly to the hospital, and that you DEMAND ONE bill sent to you monthly, or you will report both the collections agency and hospital to the BBC and licensure bureaus for unethical practices and harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back