17 yr old, turn 18 in a month.

david1999

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My mom has gotten a restraining order against my girlfriend and her mom. I really don't even know how my mom got the order approved because they haven't done anything... The court date is April 7. I am 17, but I turn 18 in a month. Is there anything that I can do to stop the order from being continued?

Nope, not really. It's between the parties named in the order and the judge.
You are still a minor and have no say in any of it.
That said, mom likely has a temporary order that is only good until the court date and can be obtained for just about any reason.
Mom will have to convince a judge to continue the order or else it will expire.

Nope, not really. It's between the parties named in the order and the judge.
You are still a minor and have no say in any of it.
That said, mom likely has a temporary order that is only good until the court date and can be obtained for just about any reason.
Mom will have to convince a judge to continue the order or else it will expire.
Once I turn 18, what will I have to do in order for my name to be removed/terminate the order altogether?

My mom has gotten a restraining order against my girlfriend and her mom. I really don't even know how my mom got the order approved because they haven't done anything... The court date is April 7. I am 17, but I turn 18 in a month. Is there anything that I can do to stop the order from being continued?

Relax, mate, because in less than 30 days you'll be legally an adult.
The second you turn 18 years old, at 0001 hours on the day of your birth you can walk out of the door at your mother's home and be with that little "tenderoni" for the the next week, or 50 years.

Don't worry about a lousy restraining order.

You simply need to restrain yourself for a few more days and you can be on your merry, adult way!

Relax, mate, because in less than 30 days you'll be legally an adult.
The second you turn 18 years old, at 0001 hours on the day of your birth you can walk out of the door at your mother's home and be with that little "tenderoni" for the the next week, or 50 years.

Don't worry about a lousy restraining order.

You simply need to restrain yourself for a few more days and you can be on your merry, adult way!
Once I turn 18, what will I have to do in order for my name to be removed/terminate the order altogether?

You won't need to do a darn thing.
The restraining order is for your mother's MINOR child, you.
Once you become one of us, an ADULT, that order will extinguish itself.
You are free the moment you turn 18 to run to the sweet tenderoni, if she is 18 years old, too.
If she isn't, don't touch the unripened fruit, mate.

You won't need to do a darn thing.
The restraining order is for your mother's MINOR child, you.
Once you become one of us, an ADULT, that order will extinguish itself.
You are free the moment you turn 18 to run to the sweet tenderoni, if she is 18 years old, too.
If she isn't, don't touch the unripened fruit, mate.
She is 18. Thank you for answering!

She is 18. Thank you for answering!

That's why your mother sought the order of protection, son.
You're a minor.
The "tenderoni" is "legalroni", but you're the "jailbait".
By obtaining the order, your mother did the "legalroni" a favor.
She MIGHT have been charged with some sort of sexual offender crime, and perhaps have been required to register as a child sexual molester or offender for life.

You should thank mom, son.

She did you (the "jailbait") and the potential "sexual predator" (the legalroni) a big favor.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the "Romeo & Juliet" laws.
I also know a few "wannabe" Romeos and "tryinabes" Juliets who ended up with a very nasty conviction.

Anyway, hang on, mate, you'll become one of us in a few more days.

Remember Peter Pan?

Adulthood sucks, mate, because you can't hide behind that age thing when you do stupid sheet!

Y'know, judges generally don't hand out RO's for no reason, and just your being 17 and her being 18 isn't usually enough. So I imagine there's SOME reason and something that you're not telling us.

That being the case, I'm not so sure as AJ that it'll be as simple as just turning 18 and bingo! It disappears.

Maybe I'm missing something but we don't even know what the restraining order is about and who the protected person(s) actually is.

It sounds like a temporary order which in most places can be obtained for just about any reason.
The upcoming hearing is likely for the matter to be heard and to obtain a permanent order.

"My mom has gotten a restraining order against my girlfriend and her mom." Are you included with your mother as the petitioner? Or is it just against your girlfriend and her mother to protect your mom?

Is it temporary or was there a hearing for the permanent order (which generally last a year)? If it's permanent in a year it expires unless an extension is requested.

"My mom has gotten a restraining order against my girlfriend and her mom." Are you included with your mother as the petitioner? Or is it just against your girlfriend and her mother to protect your mom?

Is it temporary or was there a hearing for the permanent order (which generally last a year)? If it's permanent in a year it expires unless an extension is requested.
Yes, I am included. And I know I didn't provide much details about the situation, but long story short I said I wanted to leave my parents house, packed a bag and never actually left. My girlfriend offered to pick me up should I decide to leave, but I didn't. Then my parents blocked her whole family's phone numbers and I asked them if it would be unblocked and was told yes on three separate occasions, on the last one I said that I would go get my own phone plan if it wasn't. Of course, being 17, the only way I could do that would be prepaid or on someone else's. my girlfriends mom offered to put me on their plan because it would be cheaper for me. My mom claims that the cell provider told her that I was on their plan. After all of this, my mom went to the courthouse and filed for an order and was granted with a court date on Friday, April 7.

So once again, if anyone knows what I need to do to maybe have it dropped on the 7th or even once I turn 18, I would really appreciate any advise.

That's why your mother sought the order of protection, son.
You're a minor.
The "tenderoni" is "legalroni", but you're the "jailbait".
By obtaining the order, your mother did the "legalroni" a favor.
She MIGHT have been charged with some sort of sexual offender crime, and perhaps have been required to register as a child sexual molester or offender for life.

You should thank mom, son.

She did you (the "jailbait") and the potential "sexual predator" (the legalroni) a big favor.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the "Romeo & Juliet" laws.
I also know a few "wannabe" Romeos and "tryinabes" Juliets who ended up with a very nasty conviction.

Anyway, hang on, mate, you'll become one of us in a few more days.

Remember Peter Pan?

Adulthood sucks, mate, because you can't hide behind that age thing when you do stupid sheet!
By the way, we are not active, nor will we be until marriage. And even if we were, the legal age of consent in Georgia is 16... so it isn't protecting anybody from jail/sex offender for life.

Yes, I am included. And I know I didn't provide much details about the situation, but long story short I said I wanted to leave my parents house, packed a bag and never actually left. My girlfriend offered to pick me up should I decide to leave, but I didn't. Then my parents blocked her whole family's phone numbers and I asked them if it would be unblocked and was told yes on three separate occasions, on the last one I said that I would go get my own phone plan if it wasn't. Of course, being 17, the only way I could do that would be prepaid or on someone else's. my girlfriends mom offered to put me on their plan because it would be cheaper for me. My mom claims that the cell provider told her that I was on their plan. After all of this, my mom went to the courthouse and filed for an order and was granted with a court date on Friday, April 7.

So once again, if anyone knows what I need to do to maybe have it dropped on the 7th or even once I turn 18, I would really appreciate any advise.

You can do nothing at age 17 to prohibit the order.
You are but a minor, in the eyes of the law, a legal incompetent.
The court takes no notice of your presence, or existence.

The best course of action is do nothing.
While you're doing NOTHING, because legally you can't do anything until you become an adult, decide if this is the hill you wish die upon.

If it is, at age 18 you can leave your mother's home without explanation or excuse.
You can go anywhere, even to the home of your friend's mother.

You need do NOTHING at age 18, because your mother has no legal standing to request a restraining order for an adult.

Until you become an adult, I suggest you stay away from your friend and her mother.
Contacting anyone from that family can cause legal issues for the person(s) you contact.

As is your mother's case when you become an adult, as a minor, the court takes no notice of your presence.

Why?

As a legal incompetent, you currently have no standing.

There it is...yes your mother had the right to file a protection order. She is your mother. You are a minor and an adult was going to come and take you. Your parents can block ANYONE they want to while you are a minor. You don't have any rights. Go ahead and get your own phone plan - they can still control it until you're the age of majority in your state.

Your girlfriend's mom should keep her nose out of it. It doesn't involve her your fight with your parents and that's why she got put on the order too. That woman is not your mother and has no legal rights to you. So if she were to harbor you at her home, she would get in trouble as would your girlfriend. If that was me and my daughter was dating a boy who was 17 and she's 18, and his mom had issues with her I would tell her to stay away from him until he's 18. If you're 18 in a month you should have just stopped talking to her for a month. Then when you're 18 you can walk out that door of your parents' house and they can't do anything about it.

Sounds like all she has is a temporary order which is usually easy to get. The permanent order not always as easily granted. Your mom has to show evidence why you and her need the order. If your girlfriend and her mom don't show up then your mom WILL get it granted. So you better tell her and her mom to make sure they are there so they can state why the order isn't necessary. Then it's up to the judge if he or she hears both sides.

As army judge said when you turn 18 you're not the minor child anymore. It doesn't apply to you anymore. IF it gets granted. There isn't even a permanent order yet. See what happens at court first.

Back