17 yr old caught shoplifting $30 item

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma Cook

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Good evening. My 17 yr old son is in AIT Fort Gordon Georgia. On the weekend he and 2 of his buddies went the PX for school supplies. His hands were full and he put a $30 speaker in his pocket. He was on his way out and was arrested for shoplifting. He called me today saying he may have to go to jail and will get kicked out of the military. He suppose to graduate from AIT in a few weeks. He's in Georgia and I am in Houston, Tx. Should we get an attorney. He's will be talking to the Commander. I don't know what to do. Will he really have to spend a year in jail? He's 17yrs old. First time shoplifting has ever happened.

Thanks so much. We will make sure he has an attorney. I just didn't want this 17yr old kids life destroyed over a $30 speaker. I pray that he learned his lesson.

Thanks so much. We will make sure he has an attorney. I just didn't want this 17yr old kids life destroyed over a $30 speaker. I pray that he learned his lesson.

Life destroyed over a 30.00 speaker? His life is destroyed because he is a THIEF. He doesn't have the honor it takes to stay in the military. He should be given a dishonorable discharge and sent back to his mommie. He isn't a man....

Life destroyed over a 30.00 speaker? His life is destroyed because he is a THIEF. He doesn't have the honor it takes to stay in the military. He should be given a dishonorable discharge and sent back to his mommie. He isn't a man....
I
I will make sure I send this response to his attorney and report this sight

He's will be talking to the Commander. I don't know what to do.

I would wait until the lad has met with his CO.

Why?

My beloved army has invested a tidy sum into the lad already.

He ompleted basic, became a soldier, and he's not yet reached the age of majority.

Unless he has been in and out of trouble, he'll probably get a break.

If I were his CO, I would offer him an Article 15 (nonjusicial punishmet).

I'd slap him with a fine of 1/3 his base pay, a week of extra duty, a letter of admonishment in his "201".

That way he would graduate and begin working off what the army has invested in him.

AAFES (thePX) will also seek about $200 from him for his misdeeds.

Save the money for a lawyer in case things go worse for him.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. He is facing criminal charges so YES he needs a Lawyer or at very least consult one. He could have options to save hs clean record he can discuss with this Lawyer. By the way I see this as a bad choice on his part which does not make him a bad person

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. He is facing criminal charges so YES he needs a Lawyer or at very least consult one. He could have options to save hs clean record he can discuss with this Lawyer. By the way I see this as a bad choice on his part which does not make him a bad person

This is a military matter - I think that Army Judge has a good handle on it.

Thanks. He's only a few weeks from graduating from AIT. He's never been in trouble. Praying for a positive outcome and that he's learned his lesson

I would wait until the lad has met with his CO.

Why?

My beloved army has invested a tidy sum into the lad already.

He ompleted vasic, became a soldier, an he's not yet reached theage of majority.

Unless he has been in and out of trouble, he'll probably get a break.

If I were his CO, I woukd offer him an Article 15 (nonjusicial punishmet).

I'd slap him with a fine of 1/3 his base pay, a week of extra duty, a letter of admonishment in his "201".

That way heould graduate and begin working off what the army has invested in him.

AAFES (thePX) will also seek about $200 from him for his misdeeds.

Save the money for a lawyer in case things go worse for him.
Thanks so much. He's only 17 yrs old a kid that has never been in trouble, graduated high school early, and has always wanted to be a soldier. He has a few weeks before he graduates from AIT. Praying for a positive outcome and that he's learned his lesson.

I think it means someone said something mean about her baby.

Yes they said something about my son very inappropriate. He's only 17yr old. Graduated
The momma bear in me came out.
I think it means someone said something mean about her baby.
You're absolutely right. Someone said something very inappropriate about my 17 yr old. He's a kid. Momma bear came out. You know we are when someone says something about kids mommas burns me up

A veteran expressed his opinion of the suitability of a thief, which is what your son is like it or not, remaining in the military. Momma Bear needs to remember that first, her kid is in the WRONG here, and second, Dis. is entitled to his opinion. You can report the site to anyone you want to, but all that's going to happen is that Momma Bear is going to get laughed at.

I'm sorry, but no one believes he put the speaker in his pocket and forgot about it.

A veteran expressed his opinion of the suitability of a thief, which is what your son is like it or not, remaining in the military. Momma Bear needs to remember that first, her kid is in the WRONG here, and second, Dis. is entitled to his opinion. You can report the site to anyone you want to, but all that's going to happen is that Momma Bear is going to get laughed at.

I'm sorry, but no one believes he put the speaker in his pocket and forgot about it.
Momma should also remember that joining the military is an emancipating event. Her baby bear is an adult in the eyes of the law.

You're absolutely right. Someone said something very inappropriate about my 17 yr old. He's a kid. Momma bear came out. You know we are when someone says something about kids mommas burns me up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back