17 Year Old Hit By Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devid569

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Cali.
My son was skateboarding home one night and was on the correct side of the road when a truck came across the oncoming lane and hit him. He had a sprained ankle and was unable to walk for a week or so. At first she was refusing to respond to her insurance company and when I finally said I was going to get an attorney they were able to get ahold of her and she admitted she was at fault. Well I am not a sue happy person and I want my son to also know that it not right to take advantage of people. I do not know what the appropriate amount to accept as a settlement is. His emergency bills came to about $3,000. His property damage was $125. Can someone help me out with this?

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Cali.
My son was skateboarding home one night and was on the correct side of the road when a truck came across the oncoming lane and hit him. He had a sprained ankle and was unable to walk for a week or so. At first she was refusing to respond to her insurance company and when I finally said I was going to get an attorney they were able to get ahold of her and she admitted she was at fault. Well I am not a sue happy person and I want my son to also know that it not right to take advantage of people. I do not know what the appropriate amount to accept as a settlement is. His emergency bills came to about $3,000. His property damage was $125. Can someone help me out with this?
If your son was IN the road, he needed to abide by the rules of the road for pedestrians. That means he should have been traveling against traffic as near to the curb in the oncoming lane as possible ... this way, he would see oncoming traffic and (in theory) be able to react to it. Note also that if a sidewalk was present, he should have been on the sidewalk and not in the street.

If the other insurance company is willing to settle for the bills, be happy they don't look further into the matter, because if your son was in the street when he should not have been, or traveling WITH traffic, then they will likely see that he was at least partially at fault.

You did not mention a police report. Why not? Were they called?

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back