17/18 year old rights to a vehicle

Heebiejeebie

Jurisdiction
Texas
I have a 17 year old child that we have 50/50 custody with father. He earned money for a car and we bought a car for him with mostly his money. The title is in our name because he has some opportunities with behaviour. Our deal was that the title of the car would go to his name after he graduates high school. The car was temporarily taken away because he skipped school on several occasions while at the other parents house. He decided to move in permanently with other parent because of the car being taken away and no rules there. We still intend to not give him the car until he graduates or follows the divorce custody decree. He turns 18 in September and will be in his senior year. We have no intent of keeping the car or profiting from it but are trying to teach him responsibility. This is the short version of the story. When he turns 18 will he and the other parent be able to take us to court and have a judge rule that we have to title it in his name?

When he turns 18 will he and the other parent be able to take us to court and have a judge rule that we have to title it in his name?

I can't predict what others will or won't do.

People often do irrational or idiotic things.

It is often too late to teach a 17 year old responsibility.

It is easier to start teaching responsibility to a 3 year old child.

If I were in your position, I'd gift the soon to be adult the vehicle TODAY.

It is never a good idea to allow anyone other than your spouse to operate a motor vehicle that is titled in your name.

That applies doubly if the person is known to be irresponsible and not doing well in school.

If I were in your position, I'd gift the soon to be adult the vehicle TODAY.
This is an excellent point - it's probably not the wisest thing to assume potential liability in this situation.

To clarify. The teenager is not in possession of the vehicle. It is in a garage and not being driven. It was taken away and keys taken away as a result of skipping multiple days of school.

When he turns 18 will he and the other parent be able to take us to court and have a judge rule that we have to title it in his name?
Let's just focus on this:
The other parent has no direct claim on the vehicle (assuming they contributed nothing towards it) once the boy turns 18. The young man may, in fact, have a claim against you, but that claim wouldn't accrue until you fail to transfer title to the vehicle upon his graduation from high school, since that seems to be the only condition you gave. Additionally, if you, in some way, make it clear that you do not intend to abide by your agreement, then he may have a claim earlier (anticipatory repudiation).

EDIT: Army Judge is an attorney licensed in Texas (and other jurisdictions). I am sure he will correct or clarify what I have said, if needed.

I have a 17 year old child that we have 50/50 custody with father.

"We"? The mother has custody with the father. You do not.

he has some opportunities with behaviour.

Huh?

No, but I don't really understand the point of the question given your statements that the "deal was that the title of the car would go to his name after he graduates high school" and that you "intend to . . . give him the car [after] he graduates."

Back