10 yr. IRS tax debt law and S.S. benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

idahotransplant

I hope I can get some advice.
In 1989 the IRS said my husband owed back taxes.
First off, I have to say the tax was a bogus tax because they said the tax was only my husbands. I filed our taxes jointly every year, but they said they had my tax return, but not my husbands. Well, that made no sense. I fought this tax forever until my husband became disabled.

IRS sent us a letter stating legally they couldn't collect but morally we still owed this and to pay when we could. The original debt was 10,000.00, now it shows $6,000.00.

Anyway. In 1999 we filed bankruptcy and I've read that that back tax could have been included. Unfortunately, our attorney did not include it. Maybe he was inept, who knows?

We were granted the bankruptcy. We are not required to file income tax because our income is below the $32,000 annually required while collecting S.S. which the judge agreed.

Well, it's past that 10 yr. deadline and the IRS still has this debt showing on a docket which appears in our credit report.

I've since read where if I write the IRS and tell them they are no longer able to collect this, that it has to be removed from our debt. Is this correct?

If so, how long does it take to happen?

We have been sent the stimulous pkg. from the IRS to file for our whopping refund. I don't want to do this and send up a red flag to the IRS. I thought maybe they would take our refund and call it even which would be fine with me, even though the back taxes are not ours to pay. That's a very long story in itself.

We have no assets that total enough to pay off this debt, but we did buy a home 1 1/2 yrs. ago. We had it appraised and there isn't enough in collateral to pay off the IRS. Our mortgage company told us we need to get that off our credit report, but they never said how.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would like to add, we always paid our taxes when we owed them. This tax is not legitimate.

Also, my husband has since turned 66 and is now on S.S. retirement and no longer on disability, but I am still on disability and have been since 1992.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back