10% late fee on property taxes

KrunchTime

Jurisdiction
California
Last year, for my property taxes, I paid via two checks in the mail (from different bank accounts) in the same envelope. I forgot that I had closed out one of the bank accounts, so that check bounced. I didn't find out until 5 months later when they finally let me know, conveniently right after I would owe a 10% late fee. They cashed the good check and NEVER even credited my account for this check.

I have been asking the County of Los Angeles to remedy this for 7 months now. I've called numerous times on different days. Each and every time their automated phone system hangs up on me. I've sent 5 letters by mail, and sent CC emails to several of their email addresses. I received 3 automated responses, and on one occasion (3/22/2022) they emailed me back saying "We have received your Penalty Cancellation Request".

Today, I received my annual property tax bill and they STILL have not even credited for the one good check that they cashed, which was for about $1,500.

What would you do? I'm thinking about sending them a certified letter this time, telling them that I'll file a lawsuit. I am at wit's end.

One more question: Do you think a judge might agree that the city has an OBLIGATION to let me know if a check bounces, without waiting 5 months?

The state has no obligation to tell you that the check bounced nor that you've not fully paid your taxes. You should be able to get proper credit for the payments you did make.

What would you do? I'm thinking about sending them a certified letter this time, telling them that I'll file a lawsuit. I am at wit's end.

You'd lose. Writing a check on a closed account was your own fault. Why would you keep checks around after you closed the account? That's dangerous.

Get copies of both sides of the cancelled check from the good account, take it personally to the tax office (if you are local to it) along with a check for the other half and the penalty.

The longer you wait the worse this is going to get.

You'd lose. Writing a check on a closed account was your own fault. Why would you keep checks around after you closed the account? That's dangerous.

Get copies of both sides of the cancelled check from the good account, take it personally to the tax office (if you are local to it) along with a check for the other half and the penalty.

The longer you wait the worse this is going to get.
I sent them a certified letter today with copies of the check from the bank along with the bank's reference number. I told them that this is my last effort before I file a lawsuit. I also emailed them. As always, their phone system says "We are experiencing high call volume" and hangs up on me. This office is quite literally a joke. Yelp reviews all tell the same tale.
Does a judge have any discretion to penalize them for being so inept?

I sent them a certified letter today with copies of the check from the bank along with the bank's reference number. I told them that this is my last effort before I file a lawsuit. I also emailed them. As always, their phone system says "We are experiencing high call volume" and hangs up on me. This office is quite literally a joke. Yelp reviews all tell the same tale.
You sent them a check from a closed account and you think THEY are inept?

Go to the office and speak to someone.

I told them that this is my last effort before I file a lawsuit.

Poking, annoying, harassing, or otherwise threatening the bear is ill advised.

The above applies to the various taxing authorities, too.

dontpokebear.JPG

I sent them a certified letter today with copies of the check from the bank along with the bank's reference number.

But you didn't send the rest of the money, and the penalty, along with it?

I told them that this is my last effort before I file a lawsuit.

Good luck with that. Suing a government agency is complicated and expensive. Google "lawsuit against government agency" with the name of your state or city.

No.

Good luck with that. Suing a government agency is complicated and expensive. Google "lawsuit against government agency" with the name of your state or city.
This is a small claims case.
The late penalty was for about $700.
Don't poke the bear??? The bear has been asleep for 7 friggin' months! They still have not credited me for about $1,500. Some of that $700 fine should also be reduced. And I'm supposed to just accept being ripped off?

It's just a small claims case. Why would that be complicated and expensive?
1: Because the state has immunity.
2: Because, even if #1 is not true, you are seven months into this now without filing an actual claim, so you missed the 6 month time limit.

Back